* eshell lisp errors
@ 2024-09-25 19:06 Christopher Howard
From: Christopher Howard @ 2024-09-25 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I'm doing some hackish stuff — you probably don't want to know — involving setting up an environment with eshell scripts. I found out if I try to set the value of a built-in variable, I get a lisp error. e.g., "export PWD=some-directory" raises error "eshell-set-variable: Variable ‘PWD’ is not settable".

That is fine, I suppose, but I was wondering: In eshell, is there some way to do something with the exception, rather than just report it, or trap it in the debugger? Some hook, maybe...? It would be neat, e.g., if I could examine the error, then decide if I wanted to continue on with the rest of the script, or abort.

--
📛 Christopher Howard
🚀 gemini://gem.librehacker.com

בראשית ברא אלהים את השמים ואת הארץ