* Emacs 23.0.95 pretest
@ 2009-06-19 17:46 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-06-19 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Emacs pretest 23.0.95 is now available; this is the sixth pretest for
what will be the Emacs 23.1 release.  You can download it via FTP, at
the following location:

  http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.95.tar.gz

The xdelta against the previous pretest, 23.0.94, is here:

  http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.94-23.0.95.xdelta

Pretesters: please send an email to me reporting success or failure on
your build platform.  Please report bugs via M-x report-emacs-bugs, or
send an email to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.  For other questions, please
email emacs-devel@gnu.org.

Thank you.

* Re: Emacs 23.0.95 pretest
@ 2009-06-20  3:01 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-06-20  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: help-emacs-windows@gnu.org, emacs-devel

Chong Yidong wrote:
> Emacs pretest 23.0.95 is now available; this is the sixth pretest for
> what will be the Emacs 23.1 release.  You can download it via FTP, at
> the following location:
>
>   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.95.tar.gz
>
> The xdelta against the previous pretest, 23.0.94, is here:
>
>   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.94-23.0.95.xdelta
>
> Pretesters: please send an email to me reporting success or failure on
> your build platform.  Please report bugs via M-x report-emacs-bugs, or
> send an email to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.  For other questions, please
> email emacs-devel@gnu.org.

The pretest was built and runs successfully on Windows. Binaries have
been uploaded to

    http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/

* Re: Emacs 23.0.95 pretest
@ 2009-06-23 17:49 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2009-06-23 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 13:46:15 -0400, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:
> Emacs pretest 23.0.95 is now available; this is the sixth pretest for
> what will be the Emacs 23.1 release.  You can download it via FTP, at
> the following location:
>
>   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.95.tar.gz

Thank you, and everyone involved in preparing the new pretest release.

> Pretesters: please send an email to me reporting success or failure on
> your build platform.  Please report bugs via M-x report-emacs-bugs, or
> send an email to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.  For other questions,
> please email emacs-devel@gnu.org.

I have patched the editors/emacs-devel port of FreeBSD to use the new
pretest tarball as the source/distfile.  It builds successfully on both
FreeBSD/i386 and FreeBSD/amd64 without X11 support, with X11 support and
Lucid widgets, or with X11 support and GTK+ widgets.

I have also edited the installation message of the package to say:

    This is a pretest snapshot of what will be the Emacs 23.1
    release.  As a result, there may be packaging errors in the
    tarball, so please be on the lookout for problems with
    installation.

    Pretesters: please send an email to keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
    reporting success or failure on your systems.  In addition,
    please report bugs via M-x report-emacs-bugs, or send an email
    to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.  For questions, please email
    emacs-devel@gnu.org.

    Emacs 23 contains many changes relative to Emacs 22.  For
    details, see the file etc/NEWS.  A few particular notes for
    those who have not been following Emacs CVS development:

     - The RMAIL mail package was recently changed to use mbox
       instead of Babyl for its internal format.  This part of
       Emacs may be less stable than others; for safety, please
       back up your mail files before trying the new Rmail.

     - The default toolkit is now GTK+.  You can use WITHOUT_GTK
       to build GNU Emacs with the Lucid toolkit.

There have been no problem reports so far, but the port was updated just
today.  If I get any bug reports in my personal inbox that are not also
copied to the list, I will forward them to emacs-pretest-bug too.

Again, thanks to everyone who contributed work, time and effort to give
us the new release :-)

Regards,
Giorgos

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 195 bytes --]

* Re: Emacs 23.0.95 pretest
@ 2009-06-24  4:38   ` Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2009-06-24  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giorgos Keramidas; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> writes:

> On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 13:46:15 -0400, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:
>> Emacs pretest 23.0.95 is now available; this is the sixth pretest for
>> what will be the Emacs 23.1 release.  You can download it via FTP, at
>> the following location:
>>
>>   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.95.tar.gz
>
> Thank you, and everyone involved in preparing the new pretest release.
>
>> Pretesters: please send an email to me reporting success or failure on
>> your build platform.  Please report bugs via M-x report-emacs-bugs, or
>> send an email to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.  For other questions,
>> please email emacs-devel@gnu.org.
>
> I have patched the editors/emacs-devel port of FreeBSD to use the new
> pretest tarball as the source/distfile.  It builds successfully on both
> FreeBSD/i386 and FreeBSD/amd64 without X11 support, with X11 support and
> Lucid widgets, or with X11 support and GTK+ widgets.
>
> I have also edited the installation message of the package to say:
>
>     This is a pretest snapshot of what will be the Emacs 23.1
>     release.  As a result, there may be packaging errors in the
>     tarball, so please be on the lookout for problems with
>     installation.
>
>     Pretesters: please send an email to keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
>     reporting success or failure on your systems.  In addition,
>     [...]

bh@betla:~> uname -v
FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE #1: Sun May 31 14:19:58 KST 2009
root@betla.izb.knu.ac.kr:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
bh@betla:~> pkg_info | grep emacs-23
emacs-23.0.95       GNU editing macros

The build and install is done without any problems. Good job, Keramidas!
Here is screenshot:
[1] http://kldp.org/files/emacs-23095-pretest-freebsd-ss1.png
[2] http://kldp.org/files/emacs-23095-pretest-freebsd-ss2.png

In addition, i did IPv6 test. In the test (with Gnus), really my email
message flew through IPv6 tunnel. Now i can trust that Emacs is IPv6
enabled application ;;

Sincerely,

--
Byung-Hee HWANG, KNU