On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 17:16:13 -0400 Glenn Morris wrote: GM> Ted Zlatanov wrote: >> Attaching the full log. It complains ../src/emacs doesn't exist and it >> doesn't. GM> I was kind of assuming you would put a working src/emacs in place GM> before trying the small Makefile, which was only intended to test the GM> bit of the build that was failing for you... GM> So you could try that, or you could build Emacs normally with `make GM> -d', and compare the output for abbrev.elc and calc/calc-aent.elc to GM> see why the former works and the latter does not. (I imagine the full GM> output is too enormous to post here). The XXX Makefile works and compiles calc-aent.el as expected. FWIW, it also works with `make -f XXX compile-main EMACS=../src/bootstrap-emacs' but I didn't know that at the time. I notice the compilation fails for the first file in a subdirectory. If I remove calc/calc-aent.elc from the ELCFILES list, for example, calc/calc-alg.elc is the next problem. Maybe that's a hint? I am attaching my generated lisp/Makefile and the output of cd lisp make -d -w bootstrap EMACS=../src/bootstrap-emacs which fails consistently, and is called by the `make bootstrap' process, so I assume it's the problem command. Make considers the right .el file but for some reason gives up on it. Ted