* suggestionss for best 100% Elisp Oauth2 module(s) & config for 29.4 MA-GNUS + mailx + sendmmail please ?
@ 2024-07-27  2:08 Jason Vas Dias
From: Jason Vas Dias @ 2024-07-27  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

 Good day -

   Google recently wrote me:

         Starting September 30, 2024, Google Workspace accounts will
         only  allow access to apps using OAuth. Password-based access
         (with the exception of App Passwords) will no longer be
         supported.
         POP and IMAP are NOT going away and can still be enabled with
         apps that connect using OAuth.

    Aargh, the reason I got the WorkSpace account was because it allowed
    Admins to emable "Less Secure Apps" to access SMTP2 using password.
    I had installed mailx and the excellent 'sendmail' extension
    and used SMART_HOST and auth and smtp.relayagent and mailertable small
    patches, that select different Gmail or MS-365 SMTP2 mailers and
    use a plain-text (but secret in hidden 'root'-user owned directory)
    'auth' file, compiled into 'auth.db' , this worked fine for my
    Workspace Account, which I got specially to handle my own '@ptt.ie'
    domain name,  mailx or sendmail from command line work fine IFF
    I specify a 'From:' header that includes a known sender in
    '/etc/mail/auth.db' - this used to work.

    Now I have to have some Oauth2 Daemon running constantly to keep
    Tokens up-to-date in Emacs in order to use SMTP , when my
    needed google-chrome-unstable and firefox-developer-edition-v129.8
    browsers are already busy each doing so for themselves !

    What a waste of CPU cycles !

    Please could anyone recommend any good shared Ouath2 Daemon that
    all of Emacs MA-GNUS / IMAP + sendmail + firefox + chrome +
    Google/MS-365 SMTP2+Outh2 could use  ?
    Preferably something that could generate sendmail auth.db config to
    use multiple Gmail and/or MS-365 accounts for mail sending with
    sendmail , and bundle the correct Ouath2 tokens with each send ?

    How would I configure MA-GNUS and mailx / sendmail to use it ?
    I really don't want to have to start a separate Emacs Daemon
    process, as well as 2 separate Browser Oauth2 processes - my laptop is
    busy enough and has slow internet bandwidth usually - can't Firefox,
    Emacs, and Chrome be told to use the same Oauth2 Daemon ? What is it ?

  Thanks, Best Regards,

Jason

* Re: suggestionss for best 100% Elisp Oauth2 module(s) & config for 29.4 MA-GNUS + mailx + sendmmail please ?
@ 2024-07-27 21:54 ` James Thomas
From: James Thomas @ 2024-07-27 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Maybe https://github.com/pdobsan/oama (Source:
https://old.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/1e4ozoo/mu4eoauthgmail_question/)

>     How would I configure MA-GNUS and mailx / sendmail to use it ?

I'd gotten this to work:
https://github.com/ccrusius/auth-source-xoauth2/issues/14 not long ago.

>     I really don't want to have to start a separate Emacs Daemon
>     process, as well as 2 separate Browser Oauth2 processes - my laptop is
>     busy enough and has slow internet bandwidth usually - can't Firefox,
>     Emacs, and Chrome be told to use the same Oauth2 Daemon ? What is it ?

I don't know about the browsers, but for the rest you might be able to
combine the above.

Good luck!

Regards,
James

* Re: suggestionss for best 100% Elisp Oauth2 module(s) & config for 29.4 MA-GNUS + mailx + sendmmail please ?
@ 2024-07-29  2:38 ` Richard Stallman
       [not found]   ` <66a72046.050a0220.2c7b2c.56dfSMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN@mx.google.com>
From: Richard Stallman @ 2024-07-29  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Vas Dias, jason.vas.dias; +Cc: emacs-devel

      > Please could anyone recommend any good shared Ouath2 Daemon that
      > all of Emacs MA-GNUS / IMAP + sendmail + firefox + chrome +
      > Google/MS-365 SMTP2+Outh2 could use  ?

Asking for advice about using Google services is off topic for
emacs-devel.  Asking about support for nonfree programs such as Chrome
is worse than merely off topic.

* Re: suggestionss for best 100% Elisp Oauth2 module(s) & config for 29.4 MA-GNUS + mailx + sendmmail please ?
@ 2024-07-29  4:53   ` Björn Bidar
       [not found]   ` <66a72046.050a0220.2c7b2c.56dfSMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN@mx.google.com>
From: Björn Bidar @ 2024-07-29  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: Jason Vas Dias, jason.vas.dias, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>       > Please could anyone recommend any good shared Ouath2 Daemon that
>       > all of Emacs MA-GNUS / IMAP + sendmail + firefox + chrome +
>       > Google/MS-365 SMTP2+Outh2 could use  ?
>
> Asking for advice about using Google services is off topic for
> emacs-devel.  Asking about support for nonfree programs such as Chrome
> is worse than merely off topic.

How is getting OAuth to work offtopic? You seem to overread that that
they were talking about getting OAuth to work and not just about Google
Authentication or similar.

Missing OAuth support has been an issue in other cases, e.g. using Gnus
for work or school. Many institutions restrict the use of their accounts
to OAuth or even use whitelists.

Also I want add that we seem to tolerate packages supporting for non-free services
in Elpa such as those supporting exchange, kinda a double standard.

Br,

Björn

@ 2024-07-29  5:19     ` Jason Vas Dias
From: Jason Vas Dias @ 2024-07-29  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Bidar
  Cc: Richard Stallman, Jason Vas Dias, jason.vas.dias, emacs-devel

Sorry about even mentioning such horrors as MS-365 and Chrome and Google
WorkSpace and  Oauth2, but
I HAVE to use them for work, unfortunately.
All I want is to be able to Send & Read Email with Emacs & MA-GNUS & Linux
mailx / sendmail,
 that is all I am asking about .
MS-365's Outlook IMAP stopped working because it won't support OAuth2 , but
its SMTP2 works with encrypted password & sendmail config patches ;
Neither Google's IMAP nor its SMTP2 work for non-WorkSpace accounts, for
WorkSpace accounts, SMTP2 with password works until Sept 2024 -
this is what I am trying to handle.
I'd prefer to be able to continue reading & sending email with MA-GNUS &
Emacs, but Google & MS-365 make it ever more difficult.
If I have to support Oauth2 in Emacs, then I'd like to use a single daemon
and Oauth2 proxy for all of Emacs, Chrome, and Firefox,
all of which I MUST use , since only google-chrome-unstable allows me to
ScreenShare with Teams and Firefox Developer Edition is
better for Outlook (doesn't crash) . I am investigating Keycloak , an open
source Oauth2 server ... anyone got Emacs to use an Oauth2 Proxy ?
 Best Regards,
Jason

@ 2024-07-29 21:31   ` James Thomas
From: James Thomas @ 2024-07-29 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

James Thomas wrote:

Richard Stallman wrote:

> Asking for advice about using Google services is off topic for
> emacs-devel.

Though it's not exclusive to that, the second link I'd posted does have
the setup instructions for a particular non-free service. Sorry.

Regards,
James

* Re: suggestionss for best 100% Elisp Oauth2 module(s) & config for 29.4 MA-GNUS + mailx + sendmmail please ?
@ 2024-07-30 12:18       ` Jason Vas Dias
From: Jason Vas Dias @ 2024-07-30 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Bidar
  Cc: Richard Stallman, Jason Vas Dias, jason.vas.dias, emacs-devel

OK, I think I found AN answer to my question :
    msmtp :  https://marlam.de/msmtp
 and possibly https://github.com/simonrob/email-oauth2-proxy or
    https://github.com/MadEarl/cl-oauth2 and or
    https://www.keycloak.org
, but I think 'msmtp' looks more like what I was looking for - an
augmented or slot-in replacement for 'sendmail' .
Sorry for mis-spellings in $Subject, which of course should be :
   'Re: suggestions for best 100% Elisp Oauth2 module(s) & config for 29.4
MA-GNUS + mailx + sendmail please ?
I was really asking about any known extensions to 'sendmail'  itself to
support XOAUTH2 + STARTTLS authentication
for SMTP2 - I guess there really aren't any ? I am using
: sendmail-8.18.1-1.fc40 on Fedora 40 Linux .
I will evaluate above tools and get I think msmtp working first with Emacs
mail & MA-GNUS IMAP + SMTP packages,
then look at some way I could get msmtp + other daemons like sendmail to
use a separate OAuth2 Proxy daemon(s)
for both Google & MS-365 & Atlassian OAuth2 authentication, and work on
extensions to Firefox and Chrome that
can use my OAuth2 Proxy daemon . Anyone know of similar work in progress
before I start ?

@ 2024-07-30 12:39       ` pinmacs
From: pinmacs @ 2024-07-30 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Vas Dias, Björn Bidar
  Cc: Richard Stallman, Jason Vas Dias, jason.vas.dias, emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 3117 bytes --]

Hi Jason,

I did not test it (right now I am still using email through
thunderbird), but this is in my radar and looks promising [1] which is
being used here [2], which I found via [3]

Cheers,
pinmacs

[1] https://github.com/telotortium/emacs-oauth2-auto

[2] https://github.com/kidd/org-gcal.el