[...] Po> Emacs does not abort when `debug-on-error' is on, and I don't see a call to emacs_abort Po> anywhere in those backtraces. Right. It does not call emacs_abort. It calls kill-emacs -1 inside the debug elisp function. >> 3. the X Glyph issue should not happen. Is it totally normal closing X-remote frames. Po> That is the only bug (which might be in Emacs, or some external library) I see here. Emacs Po> 28 does not use rendering extension glyphs itself, so it's more likely to be in cairo or Po> some other library that we use. This is a very old emacs bug for me. It had took me years identifying the right combination that triggers the bug. Po> Which is why a proper backtrace in synchronous mode is vital, so we can know which code is Po> making the offending protocol request: otherwise, the errors are only reported the next time Po> something calls XSync, some time after the fautly code runs. As said above the backtrace is attached. Best Regards