Eli Zaretskii writes: > You are again trying to push for a change without showing any actual > bug with the existing code. Please humor me, and please show me an > actual bug due to the existing code before suggesting a solution. See > above for the description of the details I'd like to know about such > actual bug. For a somewhat contrived example, UBsan flags this code (and, when running the testsuite, it'd seem that it flags only this code). ~/gnu/emacs-29/_build 2 $ gcc --version gcc (Gentoo Hardened 13.0.1_pre20230326-r1 p9) 13.0.1 20230326 (experimental) Copyright (C) 2023 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. ~/gnu/emacs-29/_build$ git rev-parse HEAD b39c3cd1125590bf4b77880b41ac08b29cdfcff6 ~/gnu/emacs-29/_build$ gcc -dumpmachine x86_64-pc-linux-gnu I can't speak to Po's example, but IIUC, he ran into a problem somewhere (maybe the same example?). >> .. or something similar to it, assuming I made an error, which is likely >> given the circumstances. This does pass the testsuite, anyway. It >> should just expand deferences into explicit memcpys. >> >> No actual memcpy calls are produced, and this is at least functional on >> a superset of compilers, and I suspect replacing the whole thing with a >> naive-looking while (*(w1++) != *(w2++)); loop would be even better (but >> I can settle for that being too experimental). > > Sorry, I don't want to risk any errors, and I would like to avoid any > experiments with the release branch. Which is why I'm asking for hard > evidence. It isn't that I don't understand what you and others are > saying, or don't believe you. It's just that we need to see the > problems before we can judge the solutions that must be safe on this > branch. I was writing the patch for demonstration purposes more than for actual application. I understand why you're arguing this, and I have to thank you for it - such efforts keep Emacs as stable as it is - but this feels like an example that is too trivial to apply such judgment to, hence my position. I am certain that you have an understanding of the issue at hand, I'm only trying to provide a solution that's safe enough for 29. Have a lovely day. -- Arsen Arsenović