* Synchronize Gnus and IMAP's notion of read mail
@ 2024-06-21 21:21 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2024-06-21 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Apparently there's a bug in Gnus which causes it to sometimes fail to
tell IMAP that some messages are "read" (or maybe it causes some messages
to be re-set to "unread"?  I don't know).

In any case, what I do know is that what my IMAP server considers as
"read" is not the same as what Gnus thinks, even though I basically
never access my IMAP server via anything else than Gnus.

I have not yet figured out how/why this happens, but instead I'm
wondering how I can fix the consequence of the bug by re-synchronize
Gnus with IMAP.

I know how to get Gnus to forget its own notion of "read" and (re)fetch
all that info from IMAP.  But I'd like to do the reverse: have Gnus tell
IMAP which messages should be considered "read" and which not (of
course, being careful not to affect those messages which Gnus hasn't
seen yet).
E.g. something like have Gnus go through all the messages that IMAP say
are "unread" and mark them (in IMAP) as "read" if Gnus thinks they've
already been "read".

How can I do that?