From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
To: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
Cc: stefankangas@gmail.com, ali_gnu2@emvision.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Solaris dldump
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2024 15:50:31 +0300	[thread overview]

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: stefankangas@gmail.com,  ali_gnu2@emvision.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2024 20:09:36 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > In this case, keeping the support of unexec longer becomes a
> > maintenance burden (just look at the #ifdef mess it requires), and
> > that is the reason why we think we should drop those platforms that
> > don't currently support pdumper.  The fact that all those platforms
> > are either very old or have better alternatives is just a supporting
> > consideration, not the main reason.
>
> You mean the 35 instances of "HAVE_UNEXEC" in C source files, not
> excepting the "HAVE_PDUMPER || HAVE_UNEXEC" conditions, or the malloc
> and Gnulib flags that aren't necessary on unexsol?

I mean all of them, and I also mean the need to understand the fine
details of unexec, the differences between it and pdumper mode, and
the reason for some tricky code we need for unexec.  Most of current
frequent contributors to Emacs have no idea about that, and thus the
unexec build is very easy to break by some change that doesn't take it
into account.

> I would be as glad as you to see most of them removed, as they are
> not significant on the systems where unexec should be retained.

They are necessary.

> > Once again, it is immaterial when a platform was EOLed.  That is not
> > the reason why we want to drop unexec.
>
> That's not what I heard just one message removed from mine

You've misunderstood what Stefan meant.  He was just responding to
your message, nothing more nothing less.