* Cocoa Emacs crashes when background color is set
@ 2008-07-18 13:36 Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-07-18 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I checked out Emacs from CVS yesterday, built and installed on Mac OS X
Leopard --with-ns

With emacs -q, this call

(set-background-color "black")

exits the whole application.  I can provide detailed tracing next week
if it can't be replicated by Adrian or anyone else; I won't have access
to Leopard until then (and yesterday I only had a few minutes, sorry
this is a very barebones bug report).

Ted

* Re: Cocoa Emacs crashes when background color is set
@ 2008-07-18 15:25 ` David Whetstone
From: David Whetstone @ 2008-07-18 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello, lurking here.

> I checked out Emacs from CVS yesterday, built and installed on Mac
> OS X
> Leopard --with-ns
>
> With emacs -q, this call
>
> (set-background-color "black")
>
> exits the whole application.  I can provide detailed tracing next week
> if it can't be replicated by Adrian or anyone else; I won't have
> access
> to Leopard until then (and yesterday I only had a few minutes, sorry
> this is a very barebones bug report).

Just so we don't duplicate effort, I've already traced the source of
the problem which I reported this last month before the merge on both
the emacs-app-dev-@lists.sourceforge.net mailing list:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=B138422E-F919-4478-8F4D-7F3C5F673E84%40gmail.com&forum_name=emacs-app-dev-

and the bug tracker:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2000237&group_id=148174&atid=770754

- David

* Re: Cocoa Emacs crashes when background color is set
@ 2008-07-18 18:15   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-07-18 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Whetstone; +Cc: emacs-devel

David Whetstone <dwhetstone@gmail.com> writes:

>> I checked out Emacs from CVS yesterday, built and installed on Mac
>> OS X
>> Leopard --with-ns
>>
>> With emacs -q, this call
>>
>> (set-background-color "black")
>>
>> exits the whole application.  I can provide detailed tracing next
>> week if it can't be replicated by Adrian or anyone else; I won't have
>> access to Leopard until then (and yesterday I only had a few minutes,
>> sorry this is a very barebones bug report).
>
> Just so we don't duplicate effort, I've already traced the source of
> the problem which I reported this last month before the merge on both
> the emacs-app-dev-@lists.sourceforge.net mailing list:

Maybe the following patch fixes this (1000% untested).

*** trunk/src/nsfns.m.~1.6.~	2008-07-17 10:49:13.000000000 -0400
--- trunk/src/nsfns.m	2008-07-18 14:13:27.000000000 -0400
***************
*** 400,406 ****
        face = FRAME_DEFAULT_FACE (f);
        if (face)
          {
!           col = NS_FACE_BACKGROUND (face);
            face->background
  	     = (EMACS_UINT) [[col colorWithAlphaComponent: alpha] retain];
            [col release];
--- 400,406 ----
        face = FRAME_DEFAULT_FACE (f);
        if (face)
          {
!           col = ns_lookup_indexed_color (NS_FACE_BACKGROUND (face), f);

@ 2008-07-19 17:01     ` Adrian Robert
From: Adrian Robert @ 2008-07-19 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Chong Yidong <cyd <at> stupidchicken.com> writes:

> David Whetstone <dwhetstone <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > Just so we don't duplicate effort, I've already traced the source of...
>
> Maybe the following patch fixes this (1000% untested).

Thanks, tested, worked, applied.

Sorry David and others for not fixing this before.

* Re: Cocoa Emacs crashes when background color is set
@ 2008-07-22 13:16     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-07-22 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The latest CVS update from last night allows (set-background-color
"black") to work for me, and everything else works (VC, Gnus, Tramp,
cperl-mode, etc. tested in normal daily usage).  Thanks.

Ted