* Feedback on scratch/igc Branch
@ 2024-09-08  5:26 Eval EXEC
From: Eval EXEC @ 2024-09-08  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

Thank you for your excellent work on the scratch/igc branch. Over the
past few days, I have been using this branch extensively for various
tasks including reading and sending mail with mu4e, programming with
lsp-mode and rust-analyzer , and managing my notes using org-roam and
org-journal. I am pleased to report that the scratch/igc branch is
remarkably stable and performs exceptionally well.

Could you please share the next steps for the scratch/igc branch?
Additionally, do you have any estimated timeline for when it will be
merged into the master branch?

I greatly appreciate your efforts and am looking forward to the future
developments.

Best regards,

Eval Exec

* Re: Feedback on scratch/igc Branch
@ 2024-09-08  5:46 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-09-08  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eval EXEC; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Eval EXEC <execvy@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2024 13:26:17 +0800
>
> Thank you for your excellent work on the scratch/igc branch. Over the
> past few days, I have been using this branch extensively for various
> tasks including reading and sending mail with mu4e, programming with
> lsp-mode and rust-analyzer , and managing my notes using org-roam and
> org-journal. I am pleased to report that the scratch/igc branch is
> remarkably stable and performs exceptionally well.

Thanks, this is very good news.

> Could you please share the next steps for the scratch/igc branch?

Keep using the branch on the various platforms and different build
configurations, to reveal the issues that are still left to be handled
and fixed.  Also, we need better GC debugging tools and means, to ease
the investigation of problems we bump into.

> Additionally, do you have any estimated timeline for when it will be
> merged into the master branch?

It's IMO too early to talk about landing this on master.  We still
have unresolved issues, like what to do with signals delivered to
Emacs when MPS is collecting garbage and the arena is locked.  We also
need to decide whether we want to fork MPS and make changes in it on
our own or not.

* Re: Feedback on scratch/igc Branch
@ 2024-10-23 13:22   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2024-10-23 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Eval EXEC, emacs-devel

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2024-09-08 08:47]:
> It's IMO too early to talk about landing this on master.  We still
> have unresolved issues, like what to do with signals delivered to
> Emacs when MPS is collecting garbage and the arena is locked.  We also
> need to decide whether we want to fork MPS and make changes in it on
> our own or not.

I see no scratch/igc branch, how do I get it?

Jean

* Re: Feedback on scratch/igc Branch
@ 2024-10-23 17:27     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-10-23 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: execvy, emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2024 16:22:11 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> Cc: Eval EXEC <execvy@gmail.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> * Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2024-09-08 08:47]:
> > It's IMO too early to talk about landing this on master.  We still
> > have unresolved issues, like what to do with signals delivered to
> > Emacs when MPS is collecting garbage and the arena is locked.  We also
> > need to decide whether we want to fork MPS and make changes in it on
> > our own or not.
>
> I see no scratch/igc branch, how do I get it?

"git pull" followed by "git checkout scratch/igc".

* Re: Feedback on scratch/igc Branch
@ 2024-10-23 20:40       ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2024-10-23 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2024-10-23 20:28]:
> > Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2024 16:22:11 +0300
> > From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> > Cc: Eval EXEC <execvy@gmail.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >
> > * Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2024-09-08 08:47]:
> > > It's IMO too early to talk about landing this on master.  We still
> > > have unresolved issues, like what to do with signals delivered to
> > > Emacs when MPS is collecting garbage and the arena is locked.  We also
> > > need to decide whether we want to fork MPS and make changes in it on
> > > our own or not.
> >
> > I see no scratch/igc branch, how do I get it?
>
> "git pull" followed by "git checkout scratch/igc".

$ git checkout scratch/igc
error: pathspec 'scratch/igc' did not match any file(s) known to git

I cannot see that branch.

* Re: Feedback on scratch/igc Branch
@ 2024-10-23 22:17         ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-10-23 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> * Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2024-10-23 20:28]:
>> > Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2024 16:22:11 +0300
>> > From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
>> > Cc: Eval EXEC <execvy@gmail.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> >
>> > * Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2024-09-08 08:47]:
>> >
>> > I see no scratch/igc branch, how do I get it?
>>
>> "git pull" followed by "git checkout scratch/igc".
>
> $ git checkout scratch/igc
> error: pathspec 'scratch/igc' did not match any file(s) known to git
>
> I cannot see that branch.

Perhaps a "git fetch --all" could help?

--
	Philip Kaludercic on siskin

* Re: Feedback on scratch/igc Branch
@ 2024-10-24  6:51         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-10-24  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2024 23:40:54 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > > I see no scratch/igc branch, how do I get it?
> >
> > "git pull" followed by "git checkout scratch/igc".
>
> $ git checkout scratch/igc
> error: pathspec 'scratch/igc' did not match any file(s) known to git
>
> I cannot see that branch.

Then your clone of the Emacs Git repository is incomplete, for some
reason.

* Re: Feedback on scratch/igc Branch
@ 2024-10-24  7:46           ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2024-10-24  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)