From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
To: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Image-mode enhancements (post-release)
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 20:47:54 +0200	[thread overview]

> One important enhancement I would like to get into Emacs 23 (and maybe
> Emacs 22.2 too) is image scrolling for image-mode.  Currently, images
> that are wider or taller than the Emacs window aren't handled very
> well; you can scroll up and down using next-line and previous-line,
> but not sideways (and, annoyingly, scrolling to the bottom of such
> images loops back to the top).
>
> The following patch implements the necessary image-scrolling
> functions, and remaps the normal navigation keybindings
> (forward-char, previous-line, scroll-up, etc.) to use these
> functions when image-mode is displaying the image as an image.

Since there are a number of modes apart from image-mode that can embed
images, some technique that did not require special commands would be
preferable.  If we have done everything that can be reasonably
expected to be done on such buffers, we can still consider creating
special commands for image-mode.

> One other useful feature which is not currently implemented would be
> to resize the image to fit the Emacs window if it is too large, and
> to provide a way to toggle between the full-sized and window-fitted
> versions of the image (Firefox has a similar feature).

tumme (or whatever it is called now) has a mode like that.