* focus-follows-mouse
@ 2008-05-05 18:09 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2008-05-05 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

GNU Emacs 23.0.60.4 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20)
 of 2008-05-05 on nyc-qws-005
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--prefix=/mnt/office/dev/opt'

I just noticed that I need to click the mouse to switch the focus
between emacs windows (as opposed to emacs frames/X windows which are
switched between based on the mouse movement).
Even though the documentation of focus-follows-mouse makes it abundantly
clear that this is not the intent of the variable, I think it would be
better if emacs switched the emacs window focus based on mouse movement
when this variable is set to non-nil.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)
http://pmw.org.il http://iris.org.il http://dhimmi.com http://jihadwatch.org

* Re: focus-follows-mouse
@ 2008-05-05 18:16 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2008-05-05 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"Sam Steingold" <ssteingold@janestcapital.com> writes:

> GNU Emacs 23.0.60.4 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20)
>  of 2008-05-05 on nyc-qws-005
>  '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--prefix=/mnt/office/dev/opt'
>
> I just noticed that I need to click the mouse to switch the focus
> between emacs windows (as opposed to emacs frames/X windows which are
> switched between based on the mouse movement).
> Even though the documentation of focus-follows-mouse makes it abundantly
> clear that this is not the intent of the variable, I think it would be
> better if emacs switched the emacs window focus based on mouse movement
> when this variable is set to non-nil.

I disagree since that makes the desktop inconsistent.  Even if Emacs
could reliably ignore the window manager for such functions.

* Re: focus-follows-mouse
@ 2008-05-05 18:35   ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2008-05-05 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: emacs-devel

* Re: focus-follows-mouse
@ 2008-05-05 19:06 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-05-05 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I just noticed that I need to click the mouse to switch the focus
> between emacs windows (as opposed to emacs frames/X windows which are
> switched between based on the mouse movement).
> Even though the documentation of focus-follows-mouse makes it abundantly
> clear that this is not the intent of the variable, I think it would be
> better if emacs switched the emacs window focus based on mouse movement
> when this variable is set to non-nil.

You mean that mouse-autoselect-window should default to the value of
focus-follows-mouse?

This has been proposed and it might make sense, but I'm not sure it's
a good idea: just like focus-follows-mouse is problematic in MacOS
(because you may need to move the mouse over some other frame just in
order to access the menu-bar), mouse-autoselect-window is problematic
because you may need to move your mouse over another window in order to
reach the menu-bar.

        Stefan "who uses mouse-autoselect-window"

* Re: focus-follows-mouse
@ 2008-05-05 20:01   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2008-05-05 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> I just noticed that I need to click the mouse to switch the focus
>> between emacs windows (as opposed to emacs frames/X windows which are
>> switched between based on the mouse movement).
>> Even though the documentation of focus-follows-mouse makes it abundantly
>> clear that this is not the intent of the variable, I think it would be
>> better if emacs switched the emacs window focus based on mouse movement
>> when this variable is set to non-nil.
>
> You mean that mouse-autoselect-window should default to the value of
> focus-follows-mouse?
>
> This has been proposed and it might make sense, but I'm not sure it's
> a good idea: just like focus-follows-mouse is problematic in MacOS
> (because you may need to move the mouse over some other frame just in
> order to access the menu-bar), mouse-autoselect-window is problematic
> because you may need to move your mouse over another window in order
> to reach the menu-bar.

Not just that.  In my window manager, I prefer lazy focus, which means
that accidental movement of the mouse does not cause any change on
workspaces with a single Emacs frame and no other windows (where the
track pad feels touched sometimes, this is quite important).

mouse-autoselect-window would disturb me.

* Re: focus-follows-mouse
@ 2008-05-05 20:56   ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2008-05-05 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > ..., mouse-autoselect-window is problematic
 > because you may need to move your mouse over another window in order to
 > reach the menu-bar.

Simon and me spent quite some time resolving this in a reasonable way.
Do you have a test case where it doesn't work?

* Re: focus-follows-mouse
@ 2008-05-05 23:11 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-05-05 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"Sam Steingold" <ssteingold@janestcapital.com> writes:
> Even though the documentation of focus-follows-mouse makes it abundantly
> clear that this is not the intent of the variable, I think it would be
> better if emacs switched the emacs window focus based on mouse movement
> when this variable is set to non-nil.

Please, no.  There is a very strong historical distinction between frame
and window behavior, and users are used to it.  This is core behavior,
and it can't just be changed based on a whim (and to my knowledge has
been essentially no demand for such a change).

[Morever, the behavior you want seems inconsistent with other apps --
pretty much everything that has a text entry "focus" requires a click or
command to change it, regardless of WM focus behavior (they typically
maintain a separate input focus per WM-window).]

-Miles

--
Opportunity, n. A favorable occasion for grasping a disappointment.