* gdb --args does not work in emacs/src ...
@ 2008-02-11  6:32 Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-02-11  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

... because .gdbinit overwrites args:

set args -geometry 80x40+0+0

this is annoying when one wants to start the debugger with specific
arguments on the command line.

* Re: gdb --args does not work in emacs/src ...
@ 2008-02-11  7:56 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2008-02-11  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > ... because .gdbinit overwrites args:
 >
 > set args -geometry 80x40+0+0
 >
 > this is annoying when one wants to start the debugger with specific
 > arguments on the command line.

I guess it guarantees that everyone is debugging Emacs under more similar
conditions.  You can always comment that line out in your version.

* Re: gdb --args does not work in emacs/src ...
@ 2008-02-11 15:21   ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-02-11 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: emacs-devel

Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:

  >  > ... because .gdbinit overwrites args:
  >  >
  >  > set args -geometry 80x40+0+0
  >  >
  >  > this is annoying when one wants to start the debugger with specific
  >  > arguments on the command line.
  >
  > I guess it guarantees that everyone is debugging Emacs under more similar
  > conditions.  You can always comment that line out in your version.

Sure I've been doing that for a long time, but it would be even better
if I didn't have to do it.

Is it possible to append to args?
Or maybe only set it if it's not already set?

* Re: gdb --args does not work in emacs/src ...
@ 2008-02-11 16:53     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-02-11 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: Nick Roberts, emacs-devel

>> > ... because .gdbinit overwrites args:
>> >
>> > set args -geometry 80x40+0+0
>> >
>> > this is annoying when one wants to start the debugger with specific
>> > arguments on the command line.
>>
>> I guess it guarantees that everyone is debugging Emacs under more similar
>> conditions.  You can always comment that line out in your version.

> Sure I've been doing that for a long time, but it would be even better
> if I didn't have to do it.

> Is it possible to append to args?
> Or maybe only set it if it's not already set?

I always specify the args directly to the "run" command, so the "set
args" is only problematic when I want to run Emacs without any argument
which is rare when debugging.

* Re: gdb --args does not work in emacs/src ...
@ 2008-02-11 16:59         ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2008-02-11 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: Nick Roberts, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Dan> Not so rare when you use gdb --args, which is all the time for me nowadays.
Dan> It's very convenient to just prepend gdb --args to the command you want
Dan> to debug (which is probably already available in the shell command
Dan> history) and not have to worry about passing arguments to "run"...

FWIW I also ended up commenting out this line, so --args would work
properly.  Of course that's a lot safer when you don't have write
access :-)

Tom

* Re: gdb --args does not work in emacs/src ...
@ 2008-02-11 17:09       ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-02-11 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Nick Roberts, emacs-devel

  > >> I guess it guarantees that everyone is debugging Emacs under more similar
  > >> conditions.  You can always comment that line out in your version.
  >
  > > Sure I've been doing that for a long time, but it would be even better
  > > if I didn't have to do it.
  >
  > > Is it possible to append to args?
  > > Or maybe only set it if it's not already set?
  >
  > I always specify the args directly to the "run" command, so the "set

That's a habit that precedes the availability of gdb --args...

@ 2008-02-11 19:51         ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2008-02-11 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

 > Not so rare when you use gdb --args, which is all the time for me nowadays.
 > It's very convenient to just prepend gdb --args to the command you want
 > to debug (which is probably already available in the shell command
 > history)

You only need to start gdb once as it will re-read the symbols if you edit and
recompile Emacs.

>          and not have to worry about passing arguments to "run"...

That way the you only need to pass arguments to run once just as you
would on the command line with gdb --args and you keep the gdb history.

OTOH , it doesn't bother me if you want to delete the set args line from
.gdbinit in the repository.

* Re: gdb --args does not work in emacs/src ...
@ 2008-02-15 22:43           ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-02-15 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:

  > OTOH , it doesn't bother me if you want to delete the set args line from
  > .gdbinit in the repository.

Thanks. I did that.  The value of having gdb --args working seemed much
higher than adding --geometry to the command line.

* Re: gdb --args does not work in emacs/src ...
@ 2008-02-15 22:58             ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-02-15 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: Nick Roberts, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:
>   > OTOH , it doesn't bother me if you want to delete the set args line from
>   > .gdbinit in the repository.
>
> Thanks. I did that.  The value of having gdb --args working seemed much
> higher than adding --geometry to the command line.

Seriously, the --geometry thing sounds just sort of weird.

[It's the sort of thing that that feels like it was probably added to
address some temporary debugging problem someone was having 15 years ago
and then accidentally got checked in with other changes...]

-Miles

--
Aborigines, n. Persons of little worth found cumbering the soil of a newly
discovered country. They soon cease to cumber; they fertilize.

* Re: gdb --args does not work in emacs/src ...
@ 2008-02-17 13:22               ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2008-02-17 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: nickrob, dann, monnier, emacs-devel

I don't know why .gdbinit specifies --geometry.
I would not object to removing that.

* Re: gdb --args does not work in emacs/src ...
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-02-17 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: nickrob, dann, emacs-devel, monnier, miles

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 08:22:15 -0500
> Cc: nickrob@snap.net.nz, dann@ics.uci.edu, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
> 	emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> I don't know why .gdbinit specifies --geometry.
> I would not object to removing that.

I don't know either, but it's there since before Emacs 19.34.

* Re: gdb --args does not work in emacs/src ...
@ 2008-02-17 15:01                   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2008-02-17 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: rms, nickrob, emacs-devel, dann, monnier, miles

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
>> Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 08:22:15 -0500
>> Cc: nickrob@snap.net.nz, dann@ics.uci.edu, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
>> 	emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> I don't know why .gdbinit specifies --geometry.
>> I would not object to removing that.
>
> I don't know either, but it's there since before Emacs 19.34.

That would suggest that it may be from before the time where window
managers had their own ideas and databases about the best geometry.

So it might be an actual improvement to remove it now, even though it
might have had some raison d'être at one point of time.