* making mouse cursor disappear
@ 2006-05-04 12:15 Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2006-05-04 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Using konsole on KDE, I see the mouse cursor disappear after a few
seconds while the cursor stays in the konsole's window and isn't
moved.  Is something similar available within Emacs?  I've searched
for the word `disappear' but got nothing.

It might be a useful addition to the `mouse-avoidance-mode' IMHO --
and no, I can't code this myself due to lack of time :-)

    Werner

* Re: making mouse cursor disappear
@ 2006-05-08  8:45 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2006-05-08  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Werner LEMBERG skrev:
> Using konsole on KDE, I see the mouse cursor disappear after a few
> seconds while the cursor stays in the konsole's window and isn't
> moved.  Is something similar available within Emacs?  I've searched
> for the word `disappear' but got nothing.
>
> It might be a useful addition to the `mouse-avoidance-mode' IMHO --
> and no, I can't code this myself due to lack of time :-)

I don't think you can do this now from the Lisp level.  In C you create a
cursor with a 1x1 pixel bitmap with the mask set to 0 (see
XCreatePixmapCursor) and then install that cursor in the window in question.
Then you also have to restore the old cursor when the mouse moves.

	Jan D.

* Re: making mouse cursor disappear
@ 2006-05-08  9:05 ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-05-08  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

> Using konsole on KDE, I see the mouse cursor disappear after a few
> seconds while the cursor stays in the konsole's window and isn't
> moved.  Is something similar available within Emacs?

No, but you can achieve the same result with the ``unclutter'' program.

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the

@ 2006-05-08  9:08   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-05-08  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Using konsole on KDE, I see the mouse cursor disappear after a few
>> seconds while the cursor stays in the konsole's window and isn't
>> moved.  Is something similar available within Emacs?
>
> No, but you can achieve the same result with the ``unclutter'' program.

What about mouse-avoidance-mode ?

* Re: making mouse cursor disappear
@ 2006-05-08 13:01     ` Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2006-05-08 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: romain, emacs-devel

> What about mouse-avoidance-mode ?

Mhmm, none of the available methods really please me...

@ 2006-05-08 13:03   ` Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2006-05-08 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> > It might be a useful addition to the `mouse-avoidance-mode' IMHO
> > -- and no, I can't code this myself due to lack of time :-)
>
> I don't think you can do this now from the Lisp level.  In C you
> create a cursor with a 1x1 pixel bitmap with the mask set to 0 (see
> XCreatePixmapCursor) and then install that cursor in the window in
> question.  Then you also have to restore the old cursor when the
> mouse moves.

Thanks for the information.  Maybe this can be put into a `ideas after
the next release' file.

    Werner