* text.texi - next-single-property-change
@ 2006-07-04 10:11 Andreas Roehler
From: Andreas Roehler @ 2006-07-04 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reading the function name, the user may assume, that
the number of changed properties at point is at stake,
i.e. he might assume a return point where a single
property changes.

The doc string clarifies that this is not the point:

"Return the position of next property change for a specific property."

To avoid misunderstandings I suggest to consider a
different name, expressing more properly the function.

Thought at

next-specified-property-change
next-selected-property-change
next-indicated-property-change
next-named-property-change

even

next-singled-out-property-change

Maybe an alias could be delivered.

`previous-single-property-change' affected respectively.

__
Andreas Roehler

* Re: text.texi - next-single-property-change
@ 2006-07-04 10:17 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-07-04 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Thien-Thi Nguyen, Richard Stallman, Drew Adams, emacs-devel

Andreas Roehler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:

> Reading the function name, the user may assume, that
> the number of changed properties at point is at stake,
> i.e. he might assume a return point where a single
> property changes.
>
> The doc string clarifies that this is not the point:
>
> "Return the position of next property change for a specific property."
>
> To avoid misunderstandings I suggest to consider a
> different name, expressing more properly the function.

The way to avoid misunderstandings is to read the doc string.

> Thought at
>
> next-specified-property-change
> next-selected-property-change
> next-indicated-property-change
> next-named-property-change
>
> even
>
> next-singled-out-property-change
>
> Maybe an alias could be delivered.
>
> `previous-single-property-change' affected respectively.

I don't see any improvement here that would be worth changing an
established idiom.  It could at best be argued that
next-property-change should have taken a "property" argument right
away, which would be nil for any property.

But I don't see that changing that is useful right now.

* Re: text.texi - next-single-property-change
@ 2006-07-04 17:31 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-07-04 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ttn, drew.adams, emacs-devel

    Reading the function name, the user may assume, that
    the number of changed properties at point is at stake,
    i.e. he might assume a return point where a single
    property changes.

I don't want to change the function name, but I will clarify the text.
Thanks.

* Re: text.texi - next-single-property-change
@ 2006-07-04 17:43   ` Andreas Roehler
From: Andreas Roehler @ 2006-07-04 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman schrieb:
>     Reading the function name, the user may assume, that
>     the number of changed properties at point is at stake,
>     i.e. he might assume a return point where a single
>     property changes.
>
> I don't want to change the function name, but I will clarify the text.
> Thanks.

So I'm through with text.texi. Thanks a lot to everyone contributing.
Was a pleasure to read it.

@ 2006-07-05 14:51     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-07-05 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    So I'm through with text.texi. Thanks a lot to everyone contributing.
    Was a pleasure to read it.

What sort of problems were you checking for?

You reported a number of points that were somewhat unclear.
Were you also checking for accuracy against etc/NEWS?

* Re: text.texi - next-single-property-change
@ 2006-07-06  5:47       ` Andreas Roehler
From: Andreas Roehler @ 2006-07-06  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman schrieb:
>     So I'm through with text.texi. Thanks a lot to everyone contributing.
>     Was a pleasure to read it.
>
> What sort of problems were you checking for?

Just did a kind of lecturing - plausibility, understanding etc.

Also tried to remember what the difficulties have been while learning
Emacs and if something could be done at the part of the manual.
(Not so much de facto, mostly indeed I should have better read the
manual...)

> You reported a number of points that were somewhat unclear.
> Were you also checking for accuracy against etc/NEWS?

No. Will try this.