* Parent of a derived mode's keymap.
@ 2005-06-10 14:01 Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2005-06-10 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Currently, the parent of a derived mode's keymap is set by the mode
function.  This means that if the docstring of a derived mode shows
the keybindings of its keymap, the bindings of the parent keymap are
not shown until the mode function is first called.  Why not set the
parent keymap at top-level, right after the defvar of the keymap
variable?

Lute.

* Re: Parent of a derived mode's keymap.
@ 2005-06-10 15:28 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-06-10 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Currently, the parent of a derived mode's keymap is set by the mode
> function.  This means that if the docstring of a derived mode shows
> the keybindings of its keymap, the bindings of the parent keymap are
> not shown until the mode function is first called.  Why not set the
> parent keymap at top-level, right after the defvar of the keymap
> variable?

- it may not yet be loaded (that's a pretty common occurrence).
- the parent mode may not use the standard <foo>-mode-map name for
  its keymap.
- IIRC there was one more reason, but I can't think of it right now.

* Re: Parent of a derived mode's keymap.
@ 2005-06-10 16:12   ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2005-06-10 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>> Currently, the parent of a derived mode's keymap is set by the mode
>> function.  This means that if the docstring of a derived mode shows
>> the keybindings of its keymap, the bindings of the parent keymap are
>> not shown until the mode function is first called.  Why not set the
>> parent keymap at top-level, right after the defvar of the keymap
>> variable?
>
> - it may not yet be loaded (that's a pretty common occurrence).

Ah, yes.  Should have thought of that.

> - the parent mode may not use the standard <foo>-mode-map name for
>   its keymap.
> - IIRC there was one more reason, but I can't think of it right now.

Thanks,

@ 2005-06-11 12:17   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-06-11 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lute.Kamstra.lists, emacs-devel

    - it may not yet be loaded (that's a pretty common occurrence).
    - the parent mode may not use the standard <foo>-mode-map name for
      its keymap.

Could you please add this info in comments at the right place?

* Re: Parent of a derived mode's keymap.
@ 2005-06-12 16:57     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-06-12 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lute.Kamstra.lists, emacs-devel

>     - it may not yet be loaded (that's a pretty common occurrence).
>     - the parent mode may not use the standard <foo>-mode-map name for
>       its keymap.

> Could you please add this info in comments at the right place?

Done,

* Re: Parent of a derived mode's keymap.
@ 2005-06-12 18:45       ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-06-12 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can't decide whether the title of this thread is more fitting for a
blues song or a pulp fiction booklet.  It certainly projects drama.

* Re: Parent of a derived mode's keymap.
@ 2005-06-12 21:02         ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2005-06-12 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> I can't decide whether the title of this thread is more fitting for a
> blues song or a pulp fiction booklet.  It certainly projects drama.

Hey, it says derived, not deprived.

@ 2005-06-12 21:56           ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-06-12 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Lute Kamstra <Lute.Kamstra.lists@xs4all.nl> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> I can't decide whether the title of this thread is more fitting for a
>> blues song or a pulp fiction booklet.  It certainly projects drama.
>
> Hey, it says derived, not deprived.

Actually, for some keymaps "depraved" would fit better.

* Re: Parent of a derived mode's keymap.
@ 2005-06-12 23:24             ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2005-06-12 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

>>> I can't decide whether the title of this thread is more fitting for a
>>> blues song or a pulp fiction booklet.  It certainly projects drama.
>>
>> Hey, it says derived, not deprived.
>
> Actually, for some keymaps "depraved" would fit better.

I knew it!  You're one of them vi lovers!  There is nothing wrong with
Emacs using escape, meta, alt, control, and shift!

Lute.