* "Fixed bug #XYZZY"
@ 2014-12-08 17:17 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-12-08 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Can we agree to say something in the commit log's summary line about
the bug essence, in addition to the bug number?  Otherwise, the
summary is not really informative, and you need to look at the bug
report in the tracker.

* Re: "Fixed bug #XYZZY"
@ 2014-12-08 17:30 ` Bozhidar Batsov
From: Bozhidar Batsov @ 2014-12-08 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Eli Zaretskii

I’d suggest adopting the common convention

[Fix #XYZ] Short and informative summary

Makes it easier to visually parse the line and tools like magit-commit-mode font-lock this nicely.

—
Cheers,
Bozhidar

@ 2014-12-08 17:55   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-12-08 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bozhidar Batsov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 19:30:11 +0200
> From: Bozhidar Batsov <bozhidar.batsov@gmail.com>
>
> I’d suggest adopting the common convention
>
> [Fix #XYZ] Short and informative summary

I obviously agree (and am doing almost literally that for some time).

* Re: "Fixed bug #XYZZY"
@ 2014-12-08 18:33 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-12-08 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Can we agree to say something in the commit log's summary line about
> the bug essence, in addition to the bug number?  Otherwise, the
> summary is not really informative, and you need to look at the bug
> report in the tracker.

Indeed, the bug number should be on another line.  The summary should
describe the change, instead.  Of course, if they both fit, it's OK to
put them together.  Also remember to use the "bug#NNN" format.

* Re: "Fixed bug #XYZZY"
@ 2014-12-08 20:30   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-12-08 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 13:33:14 -0500
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Can we agree to say something in the commit log's summary line about
> > the bug essence, in addition to the bug number?  Otherwise, the
> > summary is not really informative, and you need to look at the bug
> > report in the tracker.
>
> Indeed, the bug number should be on another line.  The summary should
> describe the change, instead.  Of course, if they both fit, it's OK to
> put them together.  Also remember to use the "bug#NNN" format.

So, can we codify something like this:

   Summary bla-bla summary line.

   Fixes: bug#NNNNN

   * src/foobar.c (foobar): Change.
   * lisp/foobar.el (foo-bar): Change.

?

* Re: "Fixed bug #XYZZY"
@ 2014-12-08 21:44     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-12-08 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> So, can we codify something like this:

>    Summary bla-bla summary line.

>    Fixes: bug#NNNNN

Sounds good.  I'm also OK with a "(bug#NNN)" somewhere at some end
of line.

* Re: "Fixed bug #XYZZY"
@ 2014-12-08 22:10     ` Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2014-12-08 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: bozhidar.batsov, emacs-devel

>> I’d suggest adopting the common convention
>>
>> [Fix #XYZ] Short and informative summary
>
> I obviously agree (and am doing almost literally that for some
> time).

If you say

  Fix XYZ:

you can have two more characters for the description.

    Werner

* Re: "Fixed bug #XYZZY"
@ 2014-12-08 23:58       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2014-12-08 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> So, can we codify something like this:
>
>>    Summary bla-bla summary line.
>
>>    Fixes: bug#NNNNN
>
> Sounds good.

Added to CONFIGURE

--
-- Stephe

* Re: "Fixed bug #XYZZY"
@ 2014-12-09  8:11         ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2014-12-09  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> writes:

>>> So, can we codify something like this:
>>
>>>    Summary bla-bla summary line.
>>
>>>    Fixes: bug#NNNNN
>>
>> Sounds good.
>
> Added to CONFIGURE
           ^^^^^^^^^

arg; too late at night. That's CONTRIBUTE.

--
-- Stephe