* Emacs (cvs) hangs on startup on remote X server.
@ 2006-09-08 15:52 Peter Whaite
From: Peter Whaite @ 2006-09-08 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here's the setup.  I have two machines: one running a GNU/Linux Fedora
FC5 system, and another running W2K with an "oldish" commercial X-win32
server.  Ping times between the two systems are sub millisecond.

When I start 'emacs -Q' on the GNU/Linux box with DISPLAY=:0.0 the emacs
window appears without delay.

However when I start 'emacs -Q' on the GNU/Linux box with
DISPLAY=192.168.0.3:0.0 (the W2k box) it hangs. No emacs window appears
until I generate an X event on the X-win32-5.3 server, e.g. by moving the
mouse, pressing the ctrl key, etc.

It doesn't hang all the time, maybe because there are sometimes pending xevents
in the queue?

It never happens if another emacs is already running.

I'm not sure how long this has been happening as I've been away for
about a month.

--
Peter Whaite

* Re: Emacs (cvs) hangs on startup on remote X server.
@ 2006-09-09  6:34 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2006-09-09  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Peter Whaite skrev:
> Here's the setup.  I have two machines: one running a GNU/Linux Fedora
> FC5 system, and another running W2K with an "oldish" commercial X-win32
> server.  Ping times between the two systems are sub millisecond.
>
> When I start 'emacs -Q' on the GNU/Linux box with DISPLAY=:0.0 the emacs
> window appears without delay.
>
> However when I start 'emacs -Q' on the GNU/Linux box with
> DISPLAY=192.168.0.3:0.0 (the W2k box) it hangs. No emacs window appears
> until I generate an X event on the X-win32-5.3 server, e.g. by moving the
> mouse, pressing the ctrl key, etc.
>
> It doesn't hang all the time, maybe because there are sometimes pending xevents
> in the queue?
>
> It never happens if another emacs is already running.

It sounds like a bug in your w32 server.  Does this happen only with Emacs or
can you see it with any other X client, like xterm?

Can you first start an xterm on GNU/Linux and then Emacs?  Does it happen then?

It sounds like your w32 server doesn't flush the out queue of the first remote
client properly.

	Jan D.

* Re: Emacs (cvs) hangs on startup on remote X server (UTF8, xfs)
@ 2006-09-11 21:02   ` Peter Whaite
From: Peter Whaite @ 2006-09-11 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan_Dj=E4rv?=

Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> wrote:
> Peter Whaite skrev:
> > Here's the setup.  I have two machines: one running a GNU/Linux Fedora
> > FC5 system, and another running W2K with an "oldish" commercial X-win32
> > server.  Ping times between the two systems are sub millisecond.
> >
> > When I start 'emacs -Q' on the GNU/Linux box with DISPLAY=:0.0 the emacs
> > window appears without delay.
> >
> > However when I start 'emacs -Q' on the GNU/Linux box with
> > DISPLAY=192.168.0.3:0.0 (the W2k box) it hangs. No emacs window appears
> > until I generate an X event on the X-win32-5.3 server, e.g. by moving the
> > mouse, pressing the ctrl key, etc.
> >
> > It doesn't hang all the time, maybe because there are sometimes
> > pending xevents in the queue?
> >
> > It never happens if another emacs is already running.
>
> It sounds like a bug in your w32 server.  Does this happen only with
> Emacs or can you see it with any other X client, like xterm?

Just emacs.

> Can you first start an xterm on GNU/Linux and then Emacs?  Does it
> happen then?

Yes.

> It sounds like your w32 server doesn't flush the out queue of the
> first remote client properly.

It has to do with me switching over to LANG=en_CA.UTF-8, and that the
iso10646 fonts are being served by xfs on the GNU/Linux box.  From an
xterm (client on GNU/Linux, either Xserver, tripe is the w32 host)

   DISPLAY=tripe:0.0 LANG=en_CA emacs -Q         # No problem
   DISPLAY=tripe:0.0 LANG=en_CA.UTF-8 emacs -Q   # Hangs

Or if I take the xfs off the w32 X server's font list then

   DISPLAY=tripe:0.0 LANG=en_CA.UTF-8 emacs -Q   # No problem

I am using 'emacs*font: fixed' for my .Xdefaults.

--
Peter Whaite

* Re: Emacs (cvs) hangs on startup on remote X server (UTF8, xfs)
@ 2006-09-12  8:31     ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2006-09-12  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Peter Whaite skrev:
> Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> wrote:
>> Peter Whaite skrev:
>>> Here's the setup.  I have two machines: one running a GNU/Linux Fedora
>>> FC5 system, and another running W2K with an "oldish" commercial X-win32
>>> server.  Ping times between the two systems are sub millisecond.
>>>
>>> When I start 'emacs -Q' on the GNU/Linux box with DISPLAY=:0.0 the emacs
>>> window appears without delay.
>>>
>>> However when I start 'emacs -Q' on the GNU/Linux box with
>>> DISPLAY=192.168.0.3:0.0 (the W2k box) it hangs. No emacs window appears
>>> until I generate an X event on the X-win32-5.3 server, e.g. by moving the
>>> mouse, pressing the ctrl key, etc.
>>>
>>> It doesn't hang all the time, maybe because there are sometimes
>>> pending xevents in the queue?
>>>
>>> It never happens if another emacs is already running.
>> It sounds like a bug in your w32 server.  Does this happen only with
>> Emacs or can you see it with any other X client, like xterm?
>
> Just emacs.
>
>> Can you first start an xterm on GNU/Linux and then Emacs?  Does it
>> happen then?
>
> Yes.
>
>> It sounds like your w32 server doesn't flush the out queue of the
>> first remote client properly.
>
> It has to do with me switching over to LANG=en_CA.UTF-8, and that the
> iso10646 fonts are being served by xfs on the GNU/Linux box.  From an
> xterm (client on GNU/Linux, either Xserver, tripe is the w32 host)
>
>    DISPLAY=tripe:0.0 LANG=en_CA emacs -Q         # No problem
>    DISPLAY=tripe:0.0 LANG=en_CA.UTF-8 emacs -Q   # Hangs

How about:
DISPLAY=tripe:0.0 LANG=en_CA.UTF-8 xterm -fn fixed
?

or
DISPLAY=tripe:0.0 LANG=en_CA.UTF-8 emacs -Q -fn lucidasanstypewriter-12
?

> Or if I take the xfs off the w32 X server's font list then
>
>    DISPLAY=tripe:0.0 LANG=en_CA.UTF-8 emacs -Q   # No problem
>
> I am using 'emacs*font: fixed' for my .Xdefaults.

Where is xfs in the fontlist?  Is it before anything else?  Do you see any
messages in syslog (you may have to enable use-syslog in the xfs config file
and restart xfs)?

@ 2006-09-13 17:07       ` Peter Whaite
From: Peter Whaite @ 2006-09-13 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Jan,

Thanks for taking the time to think about this.

Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> wrote:
> How about:
> DISPLAY=tripe:0.0 LANG=en_CA.UTF-8 xterm -fn fixed

No change.

> or
> DISPLAY=tripe:0.0 LANG=en_CA.UTF-8 emacs -Q -fn lucidasanstypewriter-12

It still misbehaves, but sometimes I have to generate 2 xevents (by
pressing the control key) before the emacs frame appears.

> Where is xfs in the fontlist?  Is it before anything else?

Its at the end.  It looks like

       C:\...Lib\Fonts\misc
       C:\...Lib\Fonts\75dpi
       msfonts
       tcp/brains:7100

msfonts tells it to use the installed w32 fonts.

I played around with the order.  If msfonts is at the top of the list
the emacs frame appears without delay (but the fonts sizes and
selections are messed up), and if msfonts is last then emacs nearly
always hangs pending an xevent.  I have the impression that moving
msfonts towards the end increases the chance that the emacs will hang
but its not clear cut.

> Do you see any messages in syslog (you may have to enable use-syslog
> in the xfs config file and restart xfs)?

use-syslog is enabled. I see nothing in /var/log/messages (or any other
/var/log/ file).

It does look as though the problem is a function of how long it takes to
"resolve" the fonts.  Could be a w32 server problem as you say, or some
kind of incompatibility between the old w32 server, and the new X
client libraries that come with FC5.

It could even be emacs. There have been a lot of changes around sit-for
and read-events lately.  If I get time I'll go back to an older cvs and
see if the problem is still there.

--
Peter Whaite (http://whaite.ca)