* Emacs 23.2 released
@ 2010-05-08  5:29 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-05-08  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

GNU Emacs 23.2 has been released, and is now available at
ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/ and the GNU FTP mirrors (see
http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html).  The bzr tag in the emacs-23 branch
is EMACS_23_2.

I've sent the formal announcement to info-gnu-emacs.  Here, I'd like to
thank the Emacs dev team, who've worked hard to make this release; as
well as the pretesters, and all those who've helped by reporting bugs.

The version in the emacs-23 branch is now 23.2.50, and the branch is
open for bugfixes.  Emacs 23.3 is intended to be a mostly bugfix
release; if in doubt about whether a change should go into the branch,
just discuss on emacs-devel first.

The 23.2 manuals are not yet on the website; I will do this sometime in
the next few days.

Thanks.

* RE: Emacs 23.2 released
@ 2010-05-08 12:56 ` Drew Adams
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-05-08 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Chong Yidong', emacs-devel

Will a Windows binary be posted? Thanks.

http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

* Re: Emacs 23.2 released
@ 2010-05-08 13:56 ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2010-05-08 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: help-emacs-windows, help-gnu-emacs

    GNU Emacs 23.2 has been released, and is now available at
    ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/ and the GNU FTP mirrors (see
    http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html).  The bzr tag in the emacs-23 branch
    is EMACS_23_2.

    I've sent the formal announcement to info-gnu-emacs.  Here, I'd like to
    thank the Emacs dev team, who've worked hard to make this release; as
    well as the pretesters, and all those who've helped by reporting bugs.

    The version in the emacs-23 branch is now 23.2.50, and the branch is
    open for bugfixes.  Emacs 23.3 is intended to be a mostly bugfix
    release; if in doubt about whether a change should go into the branch,
    just discuss on emacs-devel first.

    The 23.2 manuals are not yet on the website; I will do this sometime in
    the next few days.

    Thanks.

Window binaries have been built succesfully and uploaded to
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows.

* RE: Emacs 23.2 released
@ 2010-05-08 14:00   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-05-08 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Sean Sieger', emacs-devel; +Cc: help-emacs-windows, help-gnu-emacs

@ 2010-05-08 16:46 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-05-08 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

> GNU Emacs 23.2 has been released, and is now available at

Thank you.  Now that this is out of the way, the emacs-23 branch is
again open to more changes, in preparation for Emacs-23.3.
It's not a free-for-all, tho.

But feel free to revise your commits to the trunk and see if any of them
might be good candidates for Emacs-23.3.

The kinds of changes we can accept for 23.3 are mostly bugfixes (but
they're not restricted to regressions any more), but if there are
improvements that you think can't wait for Emacs-24, or changes that are
very modular (typically adding a new package), then they might be
good candidates.  Of course, please always check on emacs-devel before
actually installing such changes.

* Re: Emacs 23.2 released
@ 2010-05-08 16:56   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-05-08 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: cyd, emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 12:46:14 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> But feel free to revise your commits to the trunk and see if any of them
> might be good candidates for Emacs-23.3.

What is the recommended bzr procedure for backporting changes from the
trunk, without introducing possible conflicts in future merges from
the branch to the trunk?

* Re: Emacs 23.2 released
@ 2010-05-08 18:57     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-05-08 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: cyd, emacs-devel

>> But feel free to revise your commits to the trunk and see if any of them
>> might be good candidates for Emacs-23.3.
> What is the recommended bzr procedure for backporting changes from the
> trunk, without introducing possible conflicts in future merges from
> the branch to the trunk?

I don't think there's any magic bullet, sadly.  Until now, I've been the
one who did the merges, so it basically means more pain for me.

One thing you can do to help me out is to label your backports as such,
by starting the commit message with "Backport:".  It won't make all
problems disappear, but it gives me a few more options for how to deal
with them (e.g.: merge up to the next non-backport, commit, then
merge the next backport(s), "bzr revert .", commit, ...;
this work particularly well if the backport-commits are contiguous).

* Re: Emacs 23.2 released
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-05-09 11:19 ` Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2010-05-09 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)