* libxpm-3.5.7-w32-src package on website
@ 2010-02-21  2:58 Christoph
From: Christoph @ 2010-02-21  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I was trying to compile Emacs Pretest 23.1.92 on Windows with the
libxpm-3.5.7-w32-src from the website and configure always showed this
error:

XPM support is missing. It is required for color icons in the toolbar.
Install libXpm development files or use --without-xpm
Important libraries are missing. Fix these issues before running make.

I investigated further and found two things:

1. When compiling on Windows simx.h is included by xpm.h but simx.h is
not included in the source package. It is not needed to compile libxmp
itself but when compiling emacs with xpm support it is needed.

After including simx.h in the include path, the config log shows this:

In file included from junk.c:2:
D:/devel/emacs/libXpm-3.5.7/include/X11/xpm.h:320: error: syntax error
before "extern"
junk.c:3: error: syntax error before "main"
The failed program was:
#define FOR_MSW 1
#include "X11/xpm.h"
main (){}

2. The version of xpm.h included in the libxpm-3.5.7-w32-src package
(v1.2) contains _XFUNCPROTOBEGIN and _XFUNCPROTOEND. However, these
macros are not defined anywhere, that's why configure fails.

xpm.h v1.3, which I got from the libxpm source package from the GnuWin32
website, does not contain the _XFUNCPROTOBEGIN/END macros but
explicitely uses

#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" {
#endif

and

#ifdef __cplusplus
} /* for C++ V2.0 */
#endif

With this version 1.3 of xpm.h configure works fine without any other
dependencies. BTW, these are the only differences between v1.2 and v1.3
of xpm.h.

So, I am wondering, would it be possible to

a) include simx.h in the libxpm package provided at
http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/?
b) upgrade xpm.h to v1.3?

Thanks,
Christoph

* Re: libxpm-3.5.7-w32-src package on website
@ 2010-02-21  6:48 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2010-02-21  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph; +Cc: emacs-devel

Christoph <cschol2112@googlemail.com> writes:

> 1. When compiling on Windows simx.h is included by xpm.h but simx.h is
> not included in the source package. It is not needed to compile libxmp
> itself but when compiling emacs with xpm support it is needed.

It is included, but in the src subdirectory.

> 2. The version of xpm.h included in the libxpm-3.5.7-w32-src package
> (v1.2) contains _XFUNCPROTOBEGIN and _XFUNCPROTOEND. However, these
> macros are not defined anywhere, that's why configure fails.

They are defined in simx.h

> xpm.h v1.3, which I got from the libxpm source package from the
> GnuWin32 website, does not contain the _XFUNCPROTOBEGIN/END macros but
> explicitely uses

If a new version of libxpm has been released and is available from
GnuWin32, then it may be better to use that version.  When I put the src
package on ftp.gnu.org, the GnuWin32 version was several versions out of
date and had known security related bugs.

* Re: libxpm-3.5.7-w32-src package on website
@ 2010-02-24 17:22   ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2010-02-24 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org> writes:

    If a new version of libxpm has been released and is available from
    GnuWin32, then it may be better to use that version.  When I put the src
    package on ftp.gnu.org, the GnuWin32 version was several versions out of
    date and had known security related bugs.

Jason, I got libXpm-3.5.8 from Xorg, compiled it with MinGW and reduced
it per your recipe in libxpm-3.5.7-w32.  I the following incantation
correct?

    cmd /c configure.bat --without-png --without-jpeg --without-tiff
    --without-gif --cflags=-I'c:/libxpm-3.5.8/'

It seems like I am close, what am I doing wrong??

Thank you.