* Gtk: Multi_key ceases to work
@ 2003-01-21 14:26 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-21 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

With many applications (including Emacs using the default toolkit),
it worked to assign the Multi_key keysym to some keycode.  Then I
could type Multi_key followed by " followed by a, say, to generate
ä.  And Multi_key followed by s and then s again generated ß.

But now I've compiled Emacs with Gtk (it's really great, btw!) and
this ceases to work.  Emacs beeps (or flashes, because of
visible-bell) when I hit the Multi_key.

What do I do now?  Is this a bug in the Gtk port or a bug in Kai?
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: Gtk: Multi_key ceases to work
@ 2003-01-24 20:08 ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2003-01-24 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

tisdagen den 21 januari 2003 kl 15.26 skrev Kai Großjohann:

> With many applications (including Emacs using the default toolkit),
> it worked to assign the Multi_key keysym to some keycode.  Then I
> could type Multi_key followed by " followed by a, say, to generate
> \0.  And Multi_key followed by s and then s again generated ß.
>
> But now I've compiled Emacs with Gtk (it's really great, btw!) and
> this ceases to work.  Emacs beeps (or flashes, because of
> visible-bell) when I hit the Multi_key.
>
> What do I do now?  Is this a bug in the Gtk port or a bug in Kai?

A bug in the Gtk port.  The problem is that Gtk does not call
XFilterEvent for key events.  Gtk implements compose handling by it
self (I could not believe it when I saw it).

	Jan D.

* Re: Gtk: Multi_key ceases to work
@ 2003-01-25 16:21   ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2003-01-25 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kai Großjohann

> > With many applications (including Emacs using the default toolkit),
> > it worked to assign the Multi_key keysym to some keycode.  Then I
> > could type Multi_key followed by " followed by a, say, to generate
> > > >
> > But now I've compiled Emacs with Gtk (it's really great, btw!) and
> > this ceases to work.  Emacs beeps (or flashes, because of
> > visible-bell) when I hit the Multi_key.
> >
> > What do I do now?  Is this a bug in the Gtk port or a bug in Kai?
>
> A bug in the Gtk port.  The problem is that Gtk does not call
> XFilterEvent for key events.  Gtk implements compose handling by it
> self (I could not believe it when I saw it).

I think I fixed this now.

	Jan D.

* Re: Gtk: Multi_key ceases to work
@ 2003-01-25 21:43     ` Kai Großjohann