* How are etc/*.map files used?
@ 2011-08-12 12:17 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-08-12 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

The file etc/charsets/README says nothing about the intended usage of
the *.map files in there, it just tells how to generate those files.
Are we using these files somehow, and if so, where?

I bumped into an email today that used IBM037 charset, which I
couldn't read until I manually made a coding-system-alias for it from
EBCDIC (which isn't quite right).  But etc/charsets/IBM037.map does
exists, so it sounds like Emacs ought to support that encoding.

What am I missing?

* Re: How are etc/*.map files used?
@ 2011-08-12 13:08 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2011-08-12 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> The file etc/charsets/README says nothing about the intended usage of
> the *.map files in there, it just tells how to generate those files.
> Are we using these files somehow, and if so, where?

See define-charset.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: How are etc/*.map files used?
@ 2011-08-12 15:05   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-08-12 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 15:08:11 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > The file etc/charsets/README says nothing about the intended usage of
> > the *.map files in there, it just tells how to generate those files.
> > Are we using these files somehow, and if so, where?
>
> See define-charset.

Thanks.

* Re: How are etc/*.map files used?
@ 2011-08-13  7:13 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2011-08-13  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <83zkjex1ru.fsf@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> The file etc/charsets/README says nothing about the intended usage of
> the *.map files in there, it just tells how to generate those files.
> Are we using these files somehow, and if so, where?

They are used to define a charset as a :map argument of
define-charset.

> I bumped into an email today that used IBM037 charset, which I
> couldn't read until I manually made a coding-system-alias for it from
> EBCDIC (which isn't quite right).  But etc/charsets/IBM037.map does
> exists, so it sounds like Emacs ought to support that encoding.

Perhaps I just forgot to define a charset from that map in
mule-conf.el.

You can define the charset and the corresponding
coding-system as this:

(define-charset 'ibm037 "IBM037"
  :code-space [0 255]
  :map "IBM037")
(define-coding-system 'ibm037 "IBM037"
  :coding-type 'charset
  :mnemonic ??         ;; You must find an appropriate mnemonic letter
  :charset-list '(ibm037))

Then, for instance:

(encode-coding-string "012abc" 'ibm037) => "\360\361\362\201\202\203"

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org