* What causes redisplay?
@ 2010-02-01 10:45 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-02-01 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

In mumamo I have to temporarily narrow the buffer when turning on a
major mode in chunk. However under some circumstances the buffer is
redisplayed during this short temporarily narrowing and I wonder why.
It looks like a bug somewhere in Emacs to me, but I am not sure.

The redisplay happens if I add this

   (add-hook 'python-mode-hook 'turn-on-eldoc-mode)

This runs a subprocess with python and I guess it has something to do with this.

I am seeing this with an Emacs compiled from sources checked out 2010-01-26.

PS: I can work around this by temporarily setting inhibit-redisplay to
t during the narrowing, but I am not sure what trouble that may cause.

* Re: What causes redisplay?
@ 2010-02-01 19:44 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-02-01 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 11:45:27 +0100
>
> The redisplay happens if I add this
>
>    (add-hook 'python-mode-hook 'turn-on-eldoc-mode)
>
> This runs a subprocess with python and I guess it has something to do with this.

I see no surprises here: AFAIK, running a subprocess always triggers
redisplay.

* Re: What causes redisplay?
@ 2010-02-01 22:24   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-02-01 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
>> Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 11:45:27 +0100
>>
>> The redisplay happens if I add this
>>
>>    (add-hook 'python-mode-hook 'turn-on-eldoc-mode)
>>
>> This runs a subprocess with python and I guess it has something to do with this.
>
> I see no surprises here: AFAIK, running a subprocess always triggers
> redisplay.

Thanks Eli, I was suspecting something like that, but I didn't know for sure.

What is the reason that running a subprocess triggers redisplay?

* Re: What causes redisplay?
@ 2010-02-01 23:16     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-02-01 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

> What is the reason that running a subprocess triggers redisplay?

I'd be interested to know as well,