* Why there are so many things in preloaded-file-list?
@ 2009-09-10 21:37 Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-09-10 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi Emacs developers,

Any change to those files would require a recompile of Emacs. So it
seems it would be much better if the list could be kept as minimal as
possible. What do you think?

For example, there's tool-bar and tons of languages which I am not too
sure should be preloaded by default.

Leo

--
Leo's Emacs uptime: 1 minute, 52 seconds

* Re: Why there are so many things in preloaded-file-list?
@ 2009-09-11  7:44 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-09-11  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 22:37:39 +0100
>
> Any change to those files would require a recompile of Emacs.

Not recompile, just re-dump.

> So it seems it would be much better if the list could be kept as
> minimal as possible. What do you think?
>
> For example, there's tool-bar and tons of languages which I am not too
> sure should be preloaded by default.

Anything that is turned on by default should be preloaded, because
otherwise it will be always loaded automatically on startup, and make
the startup slower.  tool-bar is in that category.

I don't know why languages are preloaded, but you could try deleting
them from loadup.el and rebuilding Emacs.  If Emacs thus rebuilt loads
them on startup, you have your answer.