* list-process strange error
@ 2010-04-23 23:14 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-04-23 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

I just got this very strange error when trying to do "M-x list-processes":

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument char-or-string-p
("c:/Perl/site/bin/perly_sense.pl" "flymake_file"
"--file=bug495770-heredoc_demo_flymake.pl"))
  list-processes(nil)
  call-interactively(list-processes t nil)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)

Anyone has any idea what this could be?

A possibility is that some resource is exhausted on w32. I think some
checks are lacking there and I see very strange things because of this
sometimes. It is probably related to GDI objects which gets exhausted,
but I am not sure. (That GDI objects gets exhausted is a long standing
bug in Windows XP.)

* Re: list-process strange error
@ 2010-04-24  6:25 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-04-24  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 01:14:43 +0200
>
> I just got this very strange error when trying to do "M-x list-processes":
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument char-or-string-p
> ("c:/Perl/site/bin/perly_sense.pl" "flymake_file"
> "--file=bug495770-heredoc_demo_flymake.pl"))
>   list-processes(nil)
>   call-interactively(list-processes t nil)
>   execute-extended-command(nil)
>   call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
>
> Anyone has any idea what this could be?

Well, it seems Emacs expects a string, but gets a list of strings.

* Re: list-process strange error
@ 2010-04-24  9:22   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-04-24  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 01:14:43 +0200
>>
>> I just got this very strange error when trying to do "M-x list-processes":
>>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument char-or-string-p
>> ("c:/Perl/site/bin/perly_sense.pl" "flymake_file"
>> "--file=bug495770-heredoc_demo_flymake.pl"))
>>   list-processes(nil)
>>   call-interactively(list-processes t nil)
>>   execute-extended-command(nil)
>>   call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
>>
>> Anyone has any idea what this could be?
>
> Well, it seems Emacs expects a string, but gets a list of strings.

Yes, you are right. I think the strange data comes from my attempt to
tame PerlySense to work on w32.

I happened to call (via flymake) start-process with bad data. I am
surprised that these entered into the data structures of list-process
and stayed there. There must be a bug there on w32.

What I did was esssentially that I made the argument PROGRAM-ARGS of
start-process into a list.

* Re: list-process strange error
@ 2010-04-24  9:25     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-04-24  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Lennart Borgman
<lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>>> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
>>> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 01:14:43 +0200
>>>
>>> I just got this very strange error when trying to do "M-x list-processes":
>>>
>>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument char-or-string-p
>>> ("c:/Perl/site/bin/perly_sense.pl" "flymake_file"
>>> "--file=bug495770-heredoc_demo_flymake.pl"))
>>>   list-processes(nil)
>>>   call-interactively(list-processes t nil)
>>>   execute-extended-command(nil)
>>>   call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
>>>
>>> Anyone has any idea what this could be?
>>
>> Well, it seems Emacs expects a string, but gets a list of strings.
>

> Yes, you are right. I think the strange data comes from my attempt to
> tame PerlySense to work on w32.
>
> I happened to call (via flymake) start-process with bad data. I am
> surprised that these entered into the data structures of list-process
> and stayed there. There must be a bug there on w32.
>
> What I did was esssentially that I made the argument PROGRAM-ARGS of
> start-process into a list.

Not the whole PROGRAM-ARGS of course, but the tail of it was made a
list of a list.