* nt/README and nt/README.w32 confuse. Why nt/README still live?
@ 2011-10-24 20:12 Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2011-10-24 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Significant changes in nt/README dated:

   revno: 35870
   committer: Andrew Innes <andrewi@gnu.org>
   timestamp: Sat 2001-02-03 18:23:30 +0000
   message:
     Replace outdated information.

Next significant thing done by:

   revno: 84027 [merge]
   committer: Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org>
   timestamp: Fri 2008-02-01 02:40:23 +0000
   message:
     Merge from emacs--rel--22

But exactly same changes applied to nt/README.w32.

ediff on nt/README.w32 and nt/README show that
nt/README is mostly subset of nt/README.w32.

So why nt/README still alive?

I confused what to read and my little detective search told me
that nt/README useless as duplicate and have no any other info
then in nt/README.w32.

I suggest remove this file (and move any missing to
nt/README.w32) to follow SPOT rule.

* Re: nt/README and nt/README.w32 confuse. Why nt/README still live?
@ 2011-10-24 21:41 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-10-24 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksandr Gavenko; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 23:12:07 +0300
>
> ediff on nt/README.w32 and nt/README show that
> nt/README is mostly subset of nt/README.w32.
>
> So why nt/README still alive?

They are each needed in slightly different situation.  README.W32 is
not present in the release tarball, it's placed on the FTP site near
the tarballs and zip files.

> I confused what to read and my little detective search told me
> that nt/README useless as duplicate and have no any other info
> then in nt/README.w32.
>
> I suggest remove this file (and move any missing to
> nt/README.w32) to follow SPOT rule.

As long as they don't contradict, there's no harm in having both.