* I'm working on getting the pretest out, but...
@ 2017-10-04 20:47 Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2017-10-04 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel; +Cc: eliz

Hi guys,

I'm working on getting the first pretest of Emacs 26.1 out.

I'm fixing errors in ChangeLog entries one by one (there are more than
200), which is a bit tedious.

This problem seems to reoccur for each first pretest of a major
release.  Many commit messages have wrong file paths, which is an easy
mistake to make since there's no check being performed (Magit and VC
can help with that though).

There's already a pre-commit hook that does some checks on ChangeLog
entries, and I was thinking that maybe we could extend it to check for
the existence of file paths referenced in commit messages.

Another problem I'm facing is author names.  I get 30 ignored authors
when updating etc/AUTHORS.  Some of them are easy to fix given that they
are known contributors.

To my surprise however, some of these names refer to old commits (1998
being the oldest).  I don't remember having this issue in the past,
which is weird, and I'm wondering what to do with these ChangeLog
entries.

Nico

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: I'm working on getting the pretest out, but...
@ 2017-10-05  3:16 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-10-05  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I'm fixing errors in ChangeLog entries one by one (there are more than
> 200), which is a bit tedious.
> This problem seems to reoccur for each first pretest of a major
> release.  Many commit messages have wrong file paths, which is an easy
> mistake to make since there's no check being performed (Magit and VC
> can help with that though).

Maybe we could this problem by making it unnecessary to adjust
the ChangeLog.
IOW why is it so important to have the exact right file names in there?

* Re: I'm working on getting the pretest out, but...
@ 2017-10-05  8:31 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-10-05  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr>
> Cc: eliz@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2017 22:47:03 +0200
>
> I'm fixing errors in ChangeLog entries one by one (there are more than
> 200), which is a bit tedious.

Thank you for your efforts.

> This problem seems to reoccur for each first pretest of a major
> release.  Many commit messages have wrong file paths, which is an easy
> mistake to make since there's no check being performed (Magit and VC
> can help with that though).
>
> There's already a pre-commit hook that does some checks on ChangeLog
> entries, and I was thinking that maybe we could extend it to check for
> the existence of file paths referenced in commit messages.

That could be a good idea, IMO.

> Another problem I'm facing is author names.  I get 30 ignored authors
> when updating etc/AUTHORS.  Some of them are easy to fix given that they
> are known contributors.
>
> To my surprise however, some of these names refer to old commits (1998
> being the oldest).  I don't remember having this issue in the past,
> which is weird, and I'm wondering what to do with these ChangeLog
> entries.

Can you show those problematic author names?

* Re: I'm working on getting the pretest out, but...
@ 2017-10-05 21:14   ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2017-10-05 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Eli,

> Can you show those problematic author names?

Here are the ones I can't figure out:

2016-09-04  immerrr  <immerrr@gmail.com>
2017-07-22  vividsnow  <vividsnow@gmail.com>
2017-07-15  rocky  <rb@dustyfeet.com>
2017-04-27  foudfou  <foudil.newbie+git@gmail.com>
2013-03-23  cg  <chengang31@gmail.com>
2010-02-07  sj  <prime.wizard+emacs@gmail.com>
2011-04-20  felix  <EmacsWiki>
2013-12-17  oblique  <psyberbits@gmail.com>
1998-06-24  Castor  <castor@my-dejanews.com>
2006-04-22  xyblor  <fake@invalid.email>
2010-11-29  Binjo  <binjo.cn@gmail.com>
2012-04-01  Deech  <deech@deech-ThinkPad-X200.none>
2012-01-07  LynX  <_LynX@bk.ru>
2013-03-27  rzl24ozi  <rzl24ozi@gmail.com>

Cheers,

@ 2017-10-06  9:43     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-10-06  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2017 23:14:28 +0200
>
> > Can you show those problematic author names?
>
> Here are the ones I can't figure out:
>
> 2016-09-04  immerrr  <immerrr@gmail.com>

This should be "Immerr Again <immerrr@gmail.com>", which will then
fail the "ignore" criteria.  (I can also tell his real name, but I
don't think it's necessary.)

> 2017-07-22  vividsnow  <vividsnow@gmail.com>

OK to ignore this one, it's a tiny change anyway.

> 2017-07-15  rocky  <rb@dustyfeet.com>

I think this is an alias of R. Bernstein <rocky@gnu.org>, so please
add that to author-aliases.

> 2017-04-27  foudfou  <foudil.newbie+git@gmail.com>

Tiny change, okay to ignore.

> 2013-03-23  cg  <chengang31@gmail.com>

A tiny change in makefile.w32-in, should be ignored according to
authors-ignored-files.

> 2010-02-07  sj  <prime.wizard+emacs@gmail.com>

Tiny change, okay to ignore.

> 2011-04-20  felix  <EmacsWiki>

Likewise.

> 2013-12-17  oblique  <psyberbits@gmail.com>

Likewise.

> 1998-06-24  Castor  <castor@my-dejanews.com>

This is in Gnus, the log message is incomplete, and I don't see it in
the Git log.  So I guess we have no alternative but ignore it, unless
Gnus developers can help us out.

> 2006-04-22  xyblor  <fake@invalid.email>

> 2010-11-29  Binjo  <binjo.cn@gmail.com>

Tiny change, ignore.

> 2012-04-01  Deech  <deech@deech-ThinkPad-X200.none>

Likewise.

> 2012-01-07  LynX  <_LynX@bk.ru>

Likewise.

> 2013-03-27  rzl24ozi  <rzl24ozi@gmail.com>

Likewise.

Thanks.

* Re: I'm working on getting the pretest out, but...
@ 2017-10-06 15:16     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2017-10-06 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel

We can refer to authors by their pseudonyms, if that is how they prefer
to be known.  There is no reason to make an effort to find out
their official names.

--
Dr Richard Stallman