* Add cedet/ede/shell.el to ELCFILES
@ 2009-10-17 11:20 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-10-17 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

This is with the current CVS:

  Maintainer warning: $(lisp)/cedet/ede/shell.el missing from $ELCFILES?
  Compiling $(lisp)/cedet/ede/shell.el
  Wrote $(lisp)/cedet/ede/shell.elc

* Re: Add cedet/ede/shell.el to ELCFILES
@ 2009-10-17 14:32 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-10-17 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> This is with the current CVS:
>
>   Maintainer warning: $(lisp)/cedet/ede/shell.el missing from $ELCFILES?
>   Compiling $(lisp)/cedet/ede/shell.el
>   Wrote $(lisp)/cedet/ede/shell.elc

Fixed now, thanks.

One reason I missed this error is that each time I compile, I get the
errors about the unicode files, e.g.

Maintainer warning: $(lisp)/international/uni-bidi.el missing from $ELCFILES?
Compiling /home/cyd/emacs/lisp/international/uni-bidi.el
Maintainer warning: $(lisp)/international/uni-category.el missing from $ELCFILES?
Compiling /home/cyd/emacs/lisp/international/uni-category.el

Of course, these files don't end up being compiled, because
no-byte-compile is set to t locally.  I wonder if there's a way to
remove this warning.

* Re: Add cedet/ede/shell.el to ELCFILES
@ 2009-10-17 16:50   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-10-17 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 10:32:02 -0400
>
> One reason I missed this error is that each time I compile, I get the
> errors about the unicode files, e.g.
>
> Maintainer warning: $(lisp)/international/uni-bidi.el missing from $ELCFILES?
> Compiling /home/cyd/emacs/lisp/international/uni-bidi.el
> Maintainer warning: $(lisp)/international/uni-category.el missing from $ELCFILES?
> Compiling /home/cyd/emacs/lisp/international/uni-category.el

Is this during bootstrap?  I don't think I see it during a regular
build.  And since these files are modified only very rarely, they
shouldn't present a problem, unless I'm missing something.

Btw, there are 85 files under lisp/ that have "no-byte-compile: t", so
why these few are special?

* Re: Add cedet/ede/shell.el to ELCFILES
@ 2009-10-17 18:12   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-10-17 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Chong Yidong wrote:

> One reason I missed this error is that each time I compile, I get the
> errors about the unicode files, e.g.
>
> Maintainer warning: $(lisp)/international/uni-bidi.el missing from $ELCFILES?
> Compiling /home/cyd/emacs/lisp/international/uni-bidi.el

You need to figure out why this happens, because it does not for me.
These files have a no-byte-compile cookie that compile-last checks
for. Does

grep 'no-byte-compile: t'

work on your system with these files? Perhaps their encoding confuses
grep.

IIRC, you added a manual workaround to compile-last for these files, I
never understood why. Anyway, maybe the header format has changed now
and it needs updating.

* Re: Add cedet/ede/shell.el to ELCFILES
@ 2009-10-17 18:15 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-10-17 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> This is with the current CVS:
>
>   Maintainer warning: $(lisp)/cedet/ede/shell.el missing from $ELCFILES?
>   Compiling $(lisp)/cedet/ede/shell.el
>   Wrote $(lisp)/cedet/ede/shell.elc

When you see such a warning (which is completely harmless, BTW), just
run `make update-elclist' in the lisp directory, and commit
Makefile.in.

* Re: Add cedet/ede/shell.el to ELCFILES
@ 2009-10-17 18:40     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-10-17 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris wrote:

> You need to figure out why this happens, because it does not for me.

Sorry, I think that came out as a bit abrupt. I should have said
something like: This works for me, can you figure out why it does not
work for you?

* Re: Add cedet/ede/shell.el to ELCFILES
@ 2009-10-17 23:41     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-10-17 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

>> Maintainer warning: $(lisp)/international/uni-bidi.el missing from $ELCFILES?
>> Compiling /home/cyd/emacs/lisp/international/uni-bidi.el
>
> You need to figure out why this happens, because it does not for me.
> These files have a no-byte-compile cookie that compile-last checks
> for. Does
>
> grep 'no-byte-compile: t'
>
> work on your system with these files? Perhaps their encoding confuses
> grep.
>
> IIRC, you added a manual workaround to compile-last for these files, I
> never understood why. Anyway, maybe the header format has changed now
> and it needs updating.

Oh, interesting; I always assumed everyone else was seeing these
messages, since I've been seeing them since forever.  The elc files are
*not* present on my system.  The messages pop up during `make' in the
top (emacs/) directory.  I'll try to investigate further.

* Re: Add cedet/ede/shell.el to ELCFILES
@ 2009-10-18  0:18       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-10-18  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Chong Yidong wrote:

> Oh, interesting; I always assumed everyone else was seeing these
> messages, since I've been seeing them since forever.  The elc files are
> *not* present on my system.  The messages pop up during `make' in the
> top (emacs/) directory.  I'll try to investigate further.

Just in case there's confusion, I don't have the .elc files either for
these files. This is correct, because they are marked as no-byte-compile.

The warning message comes from compile-last in lisp/Makefile.in.
But for me, for example:

grep 'no-byte-compile: t' lisp/international/uni-bidi.el > /dev/null

returns 0, so compile-last does not warn me about such files. I can
only guess that for you it returns false for some reason.

* Re: Add cedet/ede/shell.el to ELCFILES
@ 2009-10-18  0:35         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-10-18  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris wrote:

> grep 'no-byte-compile: t' lisp/international/uni-bidi.el > /dev/null
>
> returns 0, so compile-last does not warn me about such files. I can
> only guess that for you it returns false for some reason.

I wonder if GREP_OPTIONS is set in your environment, so that your grep
defaults to '--binary-files=without-match'? I installed a change for
this.

* Re: Add cedet/ede/shell.el to ELCFILES
@ 2009-10-18  1:03   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-10-18  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

>> This is with the current CVS:
>>
>> Maintainer warning: $(lisp)/cedet/ede/shell.el missing from $ELCFILES?
>> Compiling $(lisp)/cedet/ede/shell.el
>> Wrote $(lisp)/cedet/ede/shell.elc

> When you see such a warning (which is completely harmless, BTW), just
> run `make update-elclist' in the lisp directory, and commit
> Makefile.in.

BTW, if someone can come up with a way to get rid of `elcfiles' in
lisp/Makefile.in that would be very welcome.  Its only purpose is to
allow parallel compilation of the .el files (which happens to be
unreliable anyway), so the pain it brings is fairly high compared to the
benefit.  A solution that doesn't requires something like
`update-elcfiles' would be much preferred.
A solution that only works for GNU make would be acceptable, as long as
it doesn't break building with non-GNU makes.

* Re: Add cedet/ede/shell.el to ELCFILES
@ 2009-10-18  2:13           ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-10-18  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> I wonder if GREP_OPTIONS is set in your environment, so that your grep
> defaults to '--binary-files=without-match'? I installed a change for
> this.

That was it, great guess!  (I had set it in my .bashrc so long ago that
I'd forgotten.)

* Re: Add cedet/ede/shell.el to ELCFILES
@ 2009-10-18  2:14           ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-10-18  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:
>> grep 'no-byte-compile: t' lisp/international/uni-bidi.el > /dev/null
>>
>> returns 0, so compile-last does not warn me about such files. I can
>> only guess that for you it returns false for some reason.
>
> I wonder if GREP_OPTIONS is set in your environment, so that your grep
> defaults to '--binary-files=without-match'? I installed a change for
> this.

Also in general many tools behave more sanely if LANG=C is used...

-Miles

--
Electricity, n. The cause of all natural phenomena not known to be caused by
something else.

* parallel bytecomp [was Re: Add cedet/ede/shell.el to ELCFILES]
@ 2009-10-18  2:21     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-10-18  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> allow parallel compilation of the .el files (which happens to be
> unreliable anyway)

Are you talking about this?

http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=4196

Patches for this would also be good.

* Re: Add cedet/ede/shell.el to ELCFILES
@ 2009-10-18  6:01     ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2009-10-18  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

  > >> This is with the current CVS:
  > >>
  > >> Maintainer warning: $(lisp)/cedet/ede/shell.el missing from $ELCFILES?
  > >> Compiling $(lisp)/cedet/ede/shell.el
  > >> Wrote $(lisp)/cedet/ede/shell.elc
  >
  > > When you see such a warning (which is completely harmless, BTW), just
  > > run `make update-elclist' in the lisp directory, and commit
  > > Makefile.in.
  >
  > BTW, if someone can come up with a way to get rid of `elcfiles' in
  > lisp/Makefile.in that would be very welcome.  Its only purpose is to
  > allow parallel compilation of the .el files (which happens to be
  > unreliable anyway), so the pain it brings is fairly high compared to the
  > benefit.  A solution that doesn't requires something like
  > `update-elcfiles' would be much preferred.

Wouldn't the parallel compilation problem go away if your idea of using
the .el files (rather than .elc) during compilation would be implemented?

* Re: Add cedet/ede/shell.el to ELCFILES
@ 2009-10-18  8:15             ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2009-10-18  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> Also in general many tools behave more sanely if LANG=C is used...

Actually LC_ALL=C.  LANG just sets the default that the other LC_FOO
variables can override.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Add cedet/ede/shell.el to ELCFILES
@ 2009-10-18 14:31       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-10-18 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

>> BTW, if someone can come up with a way to get rid of `elcfiles' in
>> lisp/Makefile.in that would be very welcome.  Its only purpose is to
>> allow parallel compilation of the .el files (which happens to be
>> unreliable anyway), so the pain it brings is fairly high compared to the
>> benefit.  A solution that doesn't requires something like
>> `update-elcfiles' would be much preferred.

> Wouldn't the parallel compilation problem go away if your idea of using
> the .el files (rather than .elc) during compilation would be implemented?

That would fix the "(which happens to be unreliable anyway)", but is
unrelated to the main point of my argument: the update-elcfiles and
related mess.