* Bazaar sends 700K upstream for a 1K file
@ 2010-01-02  9:49 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-01-02  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Committing a change in `.bzrignore', a 1060 byte file, bzr sends about
700K of data upstream (according to the progress meter).  I know you
will probably say ``switch to smart server'', but I'm just curious:
what is sent in those 700K?

* Re: Bazaar sends 700K upstream for a 1K file
@ 2010-01-02 19:23 ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2010-01-02 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>Committing a change in `.bzrignore', a 1060 byte file, bzr sends about
>700K of data upstream (according to the progress meter).  I know you
>will probably say ``switch to smart server'', but I'm just curious:
>what is sent in those 700K?

I have no idea.  This might be a FAQ, not sure... try the Bazaar list?

* Re: Bazaar sends 700K upstream for a 1K file
@ 2010-01-02 19:23 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-01-02 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Committing a change in `.bzrignore', a 1060 byte file, bzr sends about
> 700K of data upstream (according to the progress meter).  I know you
> will probably say ``switch to smart server'', but I'm just curious:
> what is sent in those 700K?

It could be a lot more than 700KB.  The repository data is stored in
large binary compressed files which are not really "append-only", so it
often ends up reading one of those files, adding some info to it, then
repacking it and writing it all out again, and then "atomically" replace
the old one with the new one.

When (not if) you get unlucky, it will do such a thing on a very large
file (look at the files in .bzr/repository to see how large it can get).

* Re: Bazaar sends 700K upstream for a 1K file
@ 2010-01-02 19:46   ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2010-01-02 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

>> Committing a change in `.bzrignore', a 1060 byte file, bzr sends about
>> 700K of data upstream (according to the progress meter).  I know you
>> will probably say ``switch to smart server'', but I'm just curious:
>> what is sent in those 700K?
>
>It could be a lot more than 700KB.  The repository data is stored in
>large binary compressed files which are not really "append-only", so it
>often ends up reading one of those files, adding some info to it, then
>repacking it and writing it all out again, and then "atomically" replace
>the old one with the new one.
>
>When (not if) you get unlucky, it will do such a thing on a very large
>file (look at the files in .bzr/repository to see how large it can get).

Note that http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsBzrSwitchover still lists
all the open Savannah tickets we care about, and one of them is:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107077

about smart server, which we really ought to be running.

-Karl