* Introduction
@ 2015-10-17 13:10 Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer @ 2015-10-17 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello!

I participated before in a few discussions but wanted to make a formal
introduction now since I just completed copyright assignment and will at
the very least be contributing ELPA packages.

Should I mail the copyright assignment document to someone?

I'm in my early 20s, strongly interested in free software out of ethics,
and interested in Lisp/Scheme/etc. out of interest for elegance and good
design in technology.

I'm also strongly interested in upholding high community standards with
regard to mutual respect and friendliness.

If I find time I might try to contribute to the Guile/Emacs integration.
I think Guile and Guix might have a very important role in the future of
GNU and free software, so closer integration with Emacs would be great.
Eventually the Hurd should hopefully become part of this too.

Best wishes,
Taylan

* Re: Introduction
@ 2015-10-17 13:25 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <20151017131843.GA3462@apertron.net>
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-10-17 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: taylanbayirli@gmail.com (Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer)
> Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 15:10:11 +0200
>
> I participated before in a few discussions but wanted to make a formal
> introduction now since I just completed copyright assignment and will at
> the very least be contributing ELPA packages.
>
> Should I mail the copyright assignment document to someone?

If by "completing copyright assignment" you mean you filled in the
request for copyright assignment, then you should mail it according to
the instructions at the beginning of that file.

If you already did that, and you've received a response from gnu.org
personnel informing you that the process was completed, then you don't
have to email anyone, because we will see your assignment when it is
added to the database.  (Right now, I don't see your assignment on
file, so I guess the process was not completed yet.)

> I'm in my early 20s, strongly interested in free software out of ethics,
> and interested in Lisp/Scheme/etc. out of interest for elegance and good
> design in technology.
>
> I'm also strongly interested in upholding high community standards with
> regard to mutual respect and friendliness.
>
> If I find time I might try to contribute to the Guile/Emacs integration.
> I think Guile and Guix might have a very important role in the future of
> GNU and free software, so closer integration with Emacs would be great.
> Eventually the Hurd should hopefully become part of this too.

Thanks in advance, and welcome aboard.

* Re: Introduction
@ 2015-10-17 14:14   ` Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer @ 2015-10-17 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> If you already did that, and you've received a response from gnu.org
> personnel informing you that the process was completed, then you don't
> have to email anyone, because we will see your assignment when it is
> added to the database.  (Right now, I don't see your assignment on
> file, so I guess the process was not completed yet.)

Oh, it was completed.  I have a document stamped and signed by the FSF.
Maybe it takes a bit of time to reach the database.  (Been a day or so.)

I'll just fire away my ELPA packages then.

Taylan

* Re: Introduction
       [not found]   ` <87mvvhy3yv.fsf@T420.taylan>
@ 2015-10-17 14:20     ` Zack Piper
From: Zack Piper @ 2015-10-17 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 04:17:12PM +0200, Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer wrote:
> By the way is the reason for taking out the CC to emacs-devel to keep
> the traffic down a bit?  I've often noted while going through e-d
> archives that there's entries in thread listings saying "Message not
> available."
>
> Taylan

No. Sorry, that's my fault, I forgot to use the correct keybinding for
mailing list reply.

--
Zack Piper <zack@apertron.net> http://apertron.net

@ 2015-10-17 14:44     ` Zack Piper
From: Zack Piper @ 2015-10-17 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer; +Cc: Zack Piper, emacs-devel

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 16:17:12 +0200,
Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer wrote:
> By the way is the reason for taking out the CC to emacs-devel to keep
> the traffic down a bit?  I've often noted while going through e-d
> archives that there's entries in thread listings saying "Message not
> available."
>
> Taylan

Nope! Whoops! Forgot to add that, sorry, my fault. :-)

(And sorry if this got sent twice, forgot whether I followed up or not.)

* Re: Introduction
       [not found]   ` <87io65y3u7.fsf@T420.taylan>
@ 2015-10-17 15:55     ` Zack Piper
From: Zack Piper @ 2015-10-17 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer; +Cc: Zack Piper

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 16:20:00 +0200,
Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer wrote:

> Zack Piper <zack@apertron.net> writes:
>
> > By "Guile/Emacs" integration, do you mean Guilemacs, or editing
> > support for Guile in Emacs? The latter can be found at
> > http://nongnu.org/geiser/ :-)
>
> GuileEmacs specifically.  (I'm not sure if "Guilemacs" is a good name
> since it possibly makes people think it's an Emacs alternative rather
> than branch of GNU Emacs.)  I authored big parts of
> <http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GuileEmacs> so far...

Ah, wasn't sure either, according to the Emacs Wiki[1]:

    Guile-based Emacs (possibly called **“guilemacs”** or Guile-Emacs) is a branch of GNU Emacs that replaces Emacs’s own EmacsLisp engine with that of Guile.

[1]: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GuileEmacs

> Thanks for the welcome!
>
> Taylan

* Re: Introduction
@ 2015-10-17 16:07       ` Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer @ 2015-10-17 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Piper; +Cc: emacs-devel

Zack Piper <zack@apertron.net> writes:

> On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 16:20:00 +0200,
> Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer wrote:
>>
>> Zack Piper <zack@apertron.net> writes:
>>
>> > By "Guile/Emacs" integration, do you mean Guilemacs, or editing
>> > support for Guile in Emacs? The latter can be found at
>> > http://nongnu.org/geiser/ :-)
>>
>> GuileEmacs specifically.  (I'm not sure if "Guilemacs" is a good name
>> since it possibly makes people think it's an Emacs alternative rather
>> than branch of GNU Emacs.)  I authored big parts of
>> <http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GuileEmacs> so far...
>
> Ah, wasn't sure either, according to the Emacs Wiki[1]:
>
>     Guile-based Emacs (possibly called **“guilemacs”** or Guile-Emacs)
>     is a branch of GNU Emacs that replaces Emacs’s own EmacsLisp
>     engine with that of Guile.
>
> [1]: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GuileEmacs

Hmm, indeed, maybe that should be changed so as not to encourage the
usage too much.  I keep noticing people who think the point of
GuileEmacs is to swap Elisp with Scheme.

I just edited the page to clarify, thanks for the notice. :-)

Taylan

* Re: Introduction
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <20151017132458.GA7140@apertron.net>
@ 2015-10-17 21:17 ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2015-10-17 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer, emacs-devel

"Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer" <taylanbayirli@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I participated before in a few discussions but wanted to make a formal
> introduction now since I just completed copyright assignment and will at
> the very least be contributing ELPA packages.

Welcome aboard!

Nico

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Introduction
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-10-18  5:34 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2015-10-18  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: taylanbayirli

> I'm in my early 20s, strongly interested in free software out of ethics, and
> interested in Lisp/Scheme/etc. out of interest for elegance and good design
> in technology.

> I'm also strongly interested in upholding high community standards with
> regard to mutual respect and friendliness.

It's very nice to have you with us, Taylan, and even nicer to see such good
intent. I look forward to working with you.

John