* Emacs release schedule and Akihito's abdication
@ 2018-07-27 20:20 Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2018-07-27 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Development

Should we plan for a new release around March 2019, if only a point release?
Otherwise, a lot of Japanese text will stop working, due to the expected
abdication of Emperor Akihito in April 2019, and the use of a new character in
Japanese-format dates. This differs from ordinary Unicode updates, since the new
character is likely to be quite common pretty quickly, at least in Japanese
text. The new character will not be announced until late February 2019,
unfortunately. See:

Whistler K. Unicode 12.1 Planning Considerations. 2018-07-16.
https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2018/18220-u121planning.txt

Hern A. Big tech warns of 'Japan's millennium bug' ahead of Akihito's
abdication. The Guardian. 2018-07-25.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/25/big-tech-warns-japan-millennium-bug-y2k-emperor-akihito-abdication

* Re: Emacs release schedule and Akihito's abdication
@ 2018-07-27 20:35 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2018-07-27 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: Emacs Development

PE> Should we plan for a new release around March 2019, if only a point
PE> release? Otherwise, a lot of Japanese text will stop working, due to the
PE> expected abdication of Emperor Akihito in April 2019, and the use of a new
PE> character in Japanese-format dates. This differs from ordinary Unicode
PE> updates, since the new character is likely to be quite common pretty
PE> quickly, at least in Japanese text. The new character will not be
PE> announced until late February 2019, unfortunately.

I think a patch to the release branch would be reasonable for that purpose; I
wonder how long it will take for that release to make it into all channels.

* Re: Emacs release schedule and Akihito's abdication
@ 2018-07-27 21:17 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-07-27 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: Emacs-devel

> From: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
> Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 13:20:38 -0700
>
> Should we plan for a new release around March 2019, if only a point release?

Are you asking about Emacs 27.1 or about Emacs 26.2?  I hope the
latter will be released sooner than March 2019.

Incorporating a new version of Unicode is not a large job, especially
if the only change is addition of a single character.

* Re: Emacs release schedule and Akihito's abdication
@ 2018-07-27 21:38 ` Clément Pit-Claudel
From: Clément Pit-Claudel @ 2018-07-27 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2018-07-27 16:20, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Should we plan for a new release around March 2019, if only a point release? Otherwise, a lot of Japanese text will stop working, due to the expected abdication of Emperor Akihito in April 2019, and the use of a new character in Japanese-format dates.

Thanks for highlighting the issue, Paul.

I hope you can indulge a naive question :)  Can you clarify how Japanese text would break?  My quite-possibly-incorrect mental model is that Emacs finds appropriate characters in fonts by codepoint, so assuming installed fonts support it, shouldn't Emacs should be able to display the new character just fine?

Of course, the output of C-u x = would likely be broken or partial, but would text display be broken too?

Thanks!
Clément.

* Re: Emacs release schedule and Akihito's abdication
@ 2018-07-27 23:36   ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2018-07-27 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Are you asking about Emacs 27.1 or about Emacs 26.2?

Whatever the current release is at the time, I expect. The question is more
"will we be prepared to cut a release quickly" than predicting an exact release
number now. I assume the answer is "yes", and am mostly bringing up the issue
now as a heads-up.

* Re: Emacs release schedule and Akihito's abdication
@ 2018-07-27 23:41   ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2018-07-27 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Pit-Claudel, emacs-devel

Clément Pit-Claudel wrote:
> Can you clarify how Japanese text would break?

Sorry, I don't know exactly. One thing is that the regular expression
[[:alpha:]] wouldn't match the new character even though it'll be alphabetic.
Although I expect more issues will arise, not being a heavy-duty Japanese user I
don't know what they'll be.

 From the Unicode point of view, the issue is not merely assigning a code point
for the new character (that's already done: it'll be U+32FF), it's assigning
compatibility decompositions, something that won't be known until the new
emperor chooses his name. For example, the current emperor's name ㍻ (U+337B) is
a composition of 平成 (U+5E73, U+6210). Because decompositions must be cast in
stone before the code point is officially issued, Unicode won't update its
tables until it knows the actual name and how it's composed. And because it
won't update its tables, I expect that Emacs (and other software apps) will wait
until it does, which means that older programs may well mishandle the new character.

The new emperor could help out by choosing a name now, but Japanese imperial
protocol long predates Unicode and I expect they're not gonna change how they do
things just because some young whippersnapper computer dudes ask them to.

Also, suppose the new emperor decides on a single-character name that's already
in Unicode; presumably U+32FF will not be assigned to the name after all. I
think this unlikely, though, as getting a character of your own is one of the
perks of being emperor.

There are other possibilities, including the unexpected death of an emperor
(things get pretty complicated for dates, but I expect for text it's merely just
keeping a catalog of all the names).

* Re: Emacs release schedule and Akihito's abdication
@ 2018-07-28  5:00     ` Clément Pit-Claudel
From: Clément Pit-Claudel @ 2018-07-28  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert, emacs-devel

On 2018-07-27 19:41, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Clément Pit-Claudel wrote:
>> Can you clarify how Japanese text would break?
>
> Sorry, I don't know exactly. One thing is that the regular expression [[:alpha:]] wouldn't match the new character even though it'll be alphabetic. Although I expect more issues will arise, not being a heavy-duty Japanese user I don't know what they'll be.

Thanks.  Maybe someone else on the list will have further insight :)

> From the Unicode point of view, the issue is not merely assigning a code point for the new character (that's already done: it'll be U+32FF)

Indeed (I read your two links with great interest, and these issues were what I alluded to in mentioning C-u x =).  The point about [[:alpha:]] is a good one.  If it's the only issue, maybe we could save an extra release by ensuring that [:alpha:] includes U+32FF (we don't need to know what U+32FF will look like to add it to the appropriate regex class).

As I mentioned earlier, this is mostly curiosity :)
Clément.

* Re: Emacs release schedule and Akihito's abdication
@ 2018-07-28  7:09       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-07-28  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Pit-Claudel; +Cc: eggert, emacs-devel

> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <cpitclaudel@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2018 01:00:45 -0400
>
> On 2018-07-27 19:41, Paul Eggert wrote:
> > Clément Pit-Claudel wrote:
> >> Can you clarify how Japanese text would break?
> >
> > Sorry, I don't know exactly. One thing is that the regular expression [[:alpha:]] wouldn't match the new character even though it'll be alphabetic. Although I expect more issues will arise, not being a heavy-duty Japanese user I don't know what they'll be.
>
> Thanks.  Maybe someone else on the list will have further insight :)

I'm not sure it is worth the hassle, but one might go through
admin/notes/Unicode, and consider whether any of the stuff we do there
when importing a new Unicode version may or may not be affected by
this issue.

Regardless, we always try to comply to the latest version of the
Unicode standard when we release Emacs, so if a draft of Unicode will
have existed with the new character by the time we make the release,
we could use that.

* Re: Emacs release schedule and Akihito's abdication
@ 2018-07-28 11:08   ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-07-28 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

> I hope you can indulge a naive question :)

Are there any memories from 1989
at the last era change in Japan?

* Re: Emacs release schedule and Akihito's abdication
@ 2018-07-28 20:53     ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2018-07-28 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Van L, Emacs-Devel devel

Van L wrote:
> Are there any memories from 1989 at the last era change in Japan?

That predates Unicode. Although I don't have personal memories of the
transition, I suspect that back then instead of ㍻ (U+337B SQUARE ERA NAME
HEISEI) people just wrote the two characters 平成 (U+5E73, U+6210) as both of the
latter are in JIS X 0208-1983. Most likely a similar substitute will be
available next year, though we won't know for sure until late February at the
earliest.

In my limited experience the two-character spelling is ubiquitous even today,
and the special single character is used mostly in official documents.