* pdumper memory allocation (new FIXME)
@ 2019-01-31 16:07 Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2019-01-31 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

While making minor simplifications to src/pdumper.c I noticed that
pdumper_load has a comment saying it should not call xmalloc, and yet it
calls xstrdup which works by calling xmalloc. I added a FIXME to point
out the inconsistency.

The call to xstrdup was added in 2019-01-26T10:08:56!eliz@gnu.org
(a7974933dd818194de3c9387b95dbd122bcf506c), whose commit message says
"Use xstrdup instead of strdup, as on MS-Windows the latter uses the
wrong heap." I thought that with pdumper we no longer have a hybrid
malloc with two heaps; we simply have the usual C heap. Is that not true
in MS-Windows for some reason? I'm asking because if there are still
multiple heaps with pdumper (either on MS-Windows or elsewhere), I
suspect there will be similar problems elsewhere in the code.