* Warning when byte-compiling simple.el
@ 2009-11-13 10:25 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-11-13 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

    In minibuffer-default-add-completions:
    simple.el:1375:15:Warning: all-completions called with 4 arguments, but
	accepts only 2-3

This warning is a lie: all-completions accepts 2 to 4 arguments.  I
don't think we should lie about that; if we want to deprecate the 4th
argument, we should find a better way of conveying this to its users.

In any case, we shouldn't call it with 4 arguments ourselves,
certainly not in such a core file as simple.el.

* Re: Warning when byte-compiling simple.el
@ 2009-11-13 14:50 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-11-13 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

>     In minibuffer-default-add-completions:
>     simple.el:1375:15:Warning: all-completions called with 4 arguments, but
> 	accepts only 2-3

> This warning is a lie: all-completions accepts 2 to 4 arguments.  I
> don't think we should lie about that; if we want to deprecate the 4th
> argument, we should find a better way of conveying this to its users.

I guess the warning should use a more informative message, indeed.

> In any case, we shouldn't call it with 4 arguments ourselves,
> certainly not in such a core file as simple.el.

Agreed.  So the warning worked: it caught this use ;-)