From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
To: Johannes Choo <jhanschoo@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New Package: greek-polytonic.el
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 14:16:24 +0300	[thread overview]

> From: Johannes Choo <jhanschoo@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 04:29:15 -0500
>
> I'd like to contribute a new package greek-polytonic.el to ELPA, or where ever it is more appropriate.

Why not add this to greek.el?

> 2) Input of combining character sequences possible—While the existing input methods allow for the input of
> bare letters and precomposed letter+diacritics, but not for Unicode letter+diacritic sequences that are not
> represented by precomposed characters. For example, the sequence <alpha>+<combining
> macron>+<combining acute accent> is not represented by any precomposed character, but appears
> frequently in critical editions of classics. greek-polytonic.el allows for the input of combining characters
> themselves, and substitutes such sequences with their Unicode-canonical precomposed equivalents if they
> exist; hence input from this method satisfies Unicode-NFC (Normalization Form Canonical Composition),
> while allowing input of sequences that have no corresponding precomposed character. Though it is to be
> admitted that font support and Emacs's display support for such decomposed sequences is still rudimentary
> and the sequence may visually appear funky.

Is this a good idea?  It seems to go against the intent of whoever is
typing the text: they do want the decomposed characters to appear in
the text.  Emacs will automatically (by default) compose them on
display (and if it doesn't, that's a bug that should be reported and
fixed), per Unicode requirements, and if the font supports the
precomposed glyph, you will actually see that glyph on display.
Replacing characters with their NFC equivalents should IMO be a
separate feature, not something an input method does.  Am I missing
something?

Thanks.