* desktop fails to restore dired buffers
@ 2023-12-06 21:28 Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2023-12-06 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Commit ce4a62eece60 ("Fix desktop-save on remote dired (bug#66697)") on
the master branch changed how dired buffers are saved by desktop-save,
so they are no longer restored in my setup.

The code in `dired-desktop-save-p' and `dired-desktop-buffer-misc-data'
now assumes that `desktop-files-not-to-save' always has a string value.

However I have `desktop-files-not-to-save' as nil, which is a valid
value according to its definition. That fails the checks, and so
dired buffers are not saved.

Please can this oversight be fixed ?

    AndyM

* Re: desktop fails to restore dired buffers
@ 2023-12-07  7:24 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-12-07  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Moreton, Manuel Giraud; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2023 21:28:44 +0000
>

> Commit ce4a62eece60 ("Fix desktop-save on remote dired (bug#66697)") on
> the master branch changed how dired buffers are saved by desktop-save,
> so they are no longer restored in my setup.
>
> The code in `dired-desktop-save-p' and `dired-desktop-buffer-misc-data'
> now assumes that `desktop-files-not-to-save' always has a string value.
>
> However I have `desktop-files-not-to-save' as nil, which is a valid
> value according to its definition. That fails the checks, and so
> dired buffers are not saved.
>
> Please can this oversight be fixed ?

Manuel, could you please look into this issue?

P.S. This should have been posted to the bug tracker, not here.

* Re: desktop fails to restore dired buffers
@ 2023-12-07 21:20   ` Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2023-12-07 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Thu 07 Dec 2023, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com>
>> Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2023 21:28:44 +0000
>>

>> Commit ce4a62eece60 ("Fix desktop-save on remote dired (bug#66697)") on
>> the master branch changed how dired buffers are saved by desktop-save,
>> so they are no longer restored in my setup.
>>
>> The code in `dired-desktop-save-p' and `dired-desktop-buffer-misc-data'
>> now assumes that `desktop-files-not-to-save' always has a string value.
>>
>> However I have `desktop-files-not-to-save' as nil, which is a valid
>> value according to its definition. That fails the checks, and so
>> dired buffers are not saved.
>>
>> Please can this oversight be fixed ?
>
> Manuel, could you please look into this issue?
>
> P.S. This should have been posted to the bug tracker, not here.

I did that, and reopening an archived bug did not work for some reason.
I gave up and posted here to capture the problem.

From some experimentation, it seem that replacing:

    desktop-files-not-to-save

with:

    (or desktop-files-not-to-save "")

seems to restore the original behaviour.

@ 2023-12-08 13:59   ` Manuel Giraud via Emacs development discussions.
From: Manuel Giraud via Emacs development discussions. @ 2023-12-08 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Andy Moreton, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com>
>> Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2023 21:28:44 +0000
>>

>> Commit ce4a62eece60 ("Fix desktop-save on remote dired (bug#66697)") on
>> the master branch changed how dired buffers are saved by desktop-save,
>> so they are no longer restored in my setup.
>>
>> The code in `dired-desktop-save-p' and `dired-desktop-buffer-misc-data'
>> now assumes that `desktop-files-not-to-save' always has a string value.
>>
>> However I have `desktop-files-not-to-save' as nil, which is a valid
>> value according to its definition. That fails the checks, and so
>> dired buffers are not saved.
>>
>> Please can this oversight be fixed ?
>
> Manuel, could you please look into this issue?

Oups I could have missed it.  I'll have a look and continue discussion
on the bug tracker with Andy in copy.
--
Manuel Giraud