* Pure space overflow (Cygwin)
@ 2012-10-17 22:03 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2012-10-17 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs; +Cc: Ken Brown

The build of Emacs on Cygwin gives

Warning (initialization): Building Emacs overflowed pure space.  (See
the node Pure Storage in the Lisp manual for details.)

when starting Emacs.

This occurs with the last trunk revision 110570 (but also with a few
previous...)

Ciao,
Angelo.

* Re: Pure space overflow (Cygwin)
@ 2012-10-17 23:12 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-10-17 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs

On 10/17/2012 6:03 PM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> The build of Emacs on Cygwin gives
>
> Warning (initialization): Building Emacs overflowed pure space.  (See
> the node Pure Storage in the Lisp manual for details.)
>
> when starting Emacs.
>
> This occurs with the last trunk revision 110570 (but also with a few
> previous...)

Hi Angelo,

See the thread starting here:

   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-10/msg00094.html

Ken

* Re: Pure space overflow (Cygwin)
@ 2012-10-17 23:21   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-10-17 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown; +Cc: emacs, Angelo Graziosi

Ken Brown wrote:

> See the thread starting here:
>
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-10/msg00094.html

That thread is mainly noise IMO. If Emacs overflows pure space during
building, that is a bug that should be fixed in Emacs. Nobody should
have to work around it in their own configuration. Somebody (TM) should
figure out what puresize increase is needed and check it in.

* Re: Pure space overflow (Cygwin)
@ 2012-10-18  4:37 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-10-18  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: kbrow1i, emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 00:03:09 +0200
> From: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it>
> Cc: Ken Brown <kbrow1i@gmail.com>
>
> The build of Emacs on Cygwin gives
>
> Warning (initialization): Building Emacs overflowed pure space.  (See
> the node Pure Storage in the Lisp manual for details.)
>
> when starting Emacs.

What minimum increase in BASE_PURESIZE, defined on puresize.h, makes
this warning go away for you?

* Re: Pure space overflow (Cygwin)
@ 2012-10-18 22:44   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-10-18 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel, Angelo Graziosi

On 10/18/2012 12:37 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 00:03:09 +0200
>> From: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it>
>> Cc: Ken Brown <kbrow1i@gmail.com>
>>
>> The build of Emacs on Cygwin gives
>>
>> Warning (initialization): Building Emacs overflowed pure space.  (See
>> the node Pure Storage in the Lisp manual for details.)
>>
>> when starting Emacs.
>
> What minimum increase in BASE_PURESIZE, defined on puresize.h, makes
> this warning go away for you?

I can't speak for Angelo, but I had to increase it by 2250 to make the
warning go away on my Cygwin build.  (This is the regular build, not the
Cygw32 build.)

Ken

* Re: Pure space overflow (Cygwin)
@ 2012-10-19  6:51 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2012-10-19  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs devel list

Ken Brown wrote:

> I can't speak for Angelo, but I had to increase it by 2250 to make the
> warning go away on my Cygwin build. (This is the regular build, not
> the Cygw32 build.)

I will try only in this week-end... :-(

Thanks,

@ 2012-10-19 10:09 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-10-19 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi, Ken Brown; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 08:51:17 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Angelo Graziosi <Angelo.Graziosi@roma1.infn.it>
>

> Ken Brown wrote:
>
> > I can't speak for Angelo, but I had to increase it by 2250 to make the
> > warning go away on my Cygwin build. (This is the regular build, not
> > the Cygw32 build.)
>
> I will try only in this week-end... :-(

I bumped the base value by 80000, so it should solve your problem.
Perhaps Ken should look into tuning SYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA (on
conf_post.h) for Cygwin, since no other system seems to have this
problem at this time.

* Re: Pure space overflow (Cygwin)
@ 2012-10-19 15:55   ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2012-10-19 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Angelo Graziosi, Ken Brown, emacs-devel

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 08:51:17 +0200 (CEST)
>> From: Angelo Graziosi <Angelo.Graziosi@roma1.infn.it>
>>

>> Ken Brown wrote:
>>
>>> I can't speak for Angelo, but I had to increase it by 2250 to make the
>>> warning go away on my Cygwin build. (This is the regular build, not
>>> the Cygw32 build.)
>>
>> I will try only in this week-end... :-(
>
> I bumped the base value by 80000, so it should solve your problem.

...now the warning is gone...

  Ciao,
   Angelo.

@ 2012-10-19 17:57   ` chad
From: chad @ 2012-10-19 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org devel

On 19 Oct 2012, at 03:09, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> I bumped the base value by 80000, so it should solve your problem.
> Perhaps Ken should look into tuning SYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA (on
> conf_post.h) for Cygwin, since no other system seems to have this
> problem at this time.

FWIW, I had what I suspect was this problem with an ns build, but didn't have a chance to look at it before today, where it doesn't exist.

Thanks,
*Chad

* Re: Pure space overflow (Cygwin)
@ 2012-10-19 18:44     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-10-19 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chad; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: chad <yandros@MIT.EDU>
> Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:57:16 -0700
>

> On 19 Oct 2012, at 03:09, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> > I bumped the base value by 80000, so it should solve your problem.
> > Perhaps Ken should look into tuning SYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA (on
> > conf_post.h) for Cygwin, since no other system seems to have this
> > problem at this time.
>
> FWIW, I had what I suspect was this problem with an ns build, but didn't have a chance to look at it before today, where it doesn't exist.

Then perhaps ns, too, should look into tuning SYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA.
It already has some, but maybe that extra should be enlarged.

* Re: Pure space overflow (Cygwin)
@ 2012-10-20  2:45   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-10-20  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Angelo Graziosi, emacs-devel

On 10/19/2012 6:09 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 08:51:17 +0200 (CEST)
>> From: Angelo Graziosi <Angelo.Graziosi@roma1.infn.it>
>>

>> Ken Brown wrote:
>>
>>> I can't speak for Angelo, but I had to increase it by 2250 to make the
>>> warning go away on my Cygwin build. (This is the regular build, not
>>> the Cygw32 build.)
>>
>> I will try only in this week-end... :-(
>
> I bumped the base value by 80000, so it should solve your problem.
> Perhaps Ken should look into tuning SYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA (on
> conf_post.h) for Cygwin, since no other system seems to have this
> problem at this time.

I could certainly do this, although there's no need at the moment after
your increase.  Or are you suggesting that I revert your change and then
tune SYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA for Cygwin?

Ken

* Re: Pure space overflow (Cygwin)
@ 2012-10-20  8:34     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-10-20  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown; +Cc: Angelo.Graziosi, emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 22:45:36 -0400
> From: Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu>
> CC: Angelo Graziosi <Angelo.Graziosi@roma1.infn.it>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > I bumped the base value by 80000, so it should solve your problem.
> > Perhaps Ken should look into tuning SYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA (on
> > conf_post.h) for Cygwin, since no other system seems to have this
> > problem at this time.
>
> I could certainly do this, although there's no need at the moment after
> your increase.  Or are you suggesting that I revert your change and then
> tune SYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA for Cygwin?

Reverting the change won't tell you enough detail to set the extra
puresize correctly, because you don't know how close to the limit are
Unix and GNU platforms, which is what the BASE_PURESIZE is set for.

What you need is compare the values of pure-bytes-used in "emacs -Q"
between Emacs compiled on Cygwin and on some Unix or GNU system.
(Make sure both builds use the same configuration options and are done
on platforms with the same size of basic data types and of EMACS_INT,
which probably means a 32-bit Unix or GNU system.)  Then subtract
these two values and round up.

Another alternative is to run "temacs -batch -l loadup" under GDB, set
a breakpoint in pure_alloc, and record every allocation that comes
from Cygwin-specific code; summing them up should give you the extra.
But this is much more tedious, as you'd have to examine lots of
allocations.

* Re: Pure space overflow (Cygwin)
@ 2012-10-20 13:40       ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-10-20 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Angelo.Graziosi, emacs-devel

On 10/20/2012 4:34 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> What you need is compare the values of pure-bytes-used in "emacs -Q"
> between Emacs compiled on Cygwin and on some Unix or GNU system.
> (Make sure both builds use the same configuration options and are done
> on platforms with the same size of basic data types and of EMACS_INT,
> which probably means a 32-bit Unix or GNU system.)  Then subtract
> these two values and round up.
>
> Another alternative is to run "temacs -batch -l loadup" under GDB, set
> a breakpoint in pure_alloc, and record every allocation that comes
> from Cygwin-specific code; summing them up should give you the extra.
> But this is much more tedious, as you'd have to examine lots of
> allocations.

Thanks.  I'll try this when I get a chance.  I'll probably use the
tedious method, because I'd like to know why Cygwin seems to require
more pure storage than other systems.  There might be some old
Cygwin-specific code that needs to be cleaned up.

Ken