* Marking branch commits not for merge
@ 2015-02-14 17:31 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-02-14 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I couldn't find any clear instructions regarding the case where I'm
pushing a commit to emacs-24 that should not be merged to master.  The
available instructions, in CONTRIBUTE, admin/notes/git-workflow, and
admin/notes/repo talk about backported changes, which this one isn't.
gitmerge.el seems to indicate that just having "merge" somewhere in
the log message is enough, but I think this is designed to catch
merge-commits.

So: how do I tell in the commit log message that a commit is not to be
merged from the release branch onto master?

* Re: Marking branch commits not for merge
@ 2015-02-15 19:34 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-02-15 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> gitmerge.el seems to indicate that just having "merge" somewhere in
> the log message is enough, but I think this is designed to catch
> merge-commits.

No, it's designed to catch messages like "Don't merge to trunk",
i.e. exactly your use case.

> So: how do I tell in the commit log message that a commit is not to be
> merged from the release branch onto master?

Somehow put the words "merge" or "backport" in your commit message.