* Adding problems to an existing bug report, was: Re: bug#23179: 25.0.92; Restore `M-,' to continue etags search
       [not found]                     ` <875zqx4yw4.fsf@mail.linkov.net>
@ 2019-04-29 21:35                       ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2019-04-29 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 29.04.2019 22:32, Juri Linkov wrote:
> Actually I don't dislike Debbugs, I just hesitated to create a new report
> for such a small problem.  Even if we used another bug tracker like GitLab,
> I would try to add this as a comment to an existing issue instead of
> creating a separate one.

If it fits, sure. Especially if the solutions might be related.

In this case I hesitated to put a bug number into a commit message where
the bug title is entirely different.

> So the problem is not in Debbugs, and GitLab
> is not a panacea.  Moreover, when working on a project in GitLab, I strive
> to do as much work as possible in Emacs, e.g. read MR diffs using vc-git,
> but still miss an ability to follow GitLab discussions in Emacs.
> Until someone writes Emacs frontend to GitLab discussion lists,
> I prefer the current Gnus frontend to Debbugs discussion threads.

Well, I don't use Gnus too much these days, but I know a lot of people do.

Speaking of GitLab clients, here's one:
https://github.com/nlamirault/emacs-gitlab

I haven't tried it myself yet, but it seems to include commenting
functionality (gitlab-notes.el).

* Re: Adding problems to an existing bug report, was: Re: bug#23179: 25.0.92; Restore `M-,' to continue etags search
  2019-04-29 21:35                       ` Adding problems to an existing bug report, was: Re: bug#23179: 25.0.92; Restore `M-,' to continue etags search Dmitry Gutov
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-04-30 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: emacs-devel, juri

> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
> Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 00:35:11 +0300
> Cc: emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> Speaking of GitLab clients, here's one:
> https://github.com/nlamirault/emacs-gitlab
>
> I haven't tried it myself yet, but it seems to include commenting
> functionality (gitlab-notes.el).

Does anyone know how to use that to browse some GitLab issue, e.g. the
one posted by Toon?  I tried to do that, but got only error messages.
I suspect that I didn't understand how to use the package.

* Re: Adding problems to an existing bug report, was: Re: bug#23179: 25.0.92; Restore `M-,' to continue etags search
@ 2019-05-08 11:07                           ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2019-05-08 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel, juri

On 30.04.2019 18:37, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Does anyone know how to use that to browse some GitLab issue, e.g. the
> one posted by Toon?  I tried to do that, but got only error messages.
> I suspect that I didn't understand how to use the package.

Unfortunately, no. It looks pretty broken. I got to the list of issues
on our EMBA Gitlab installation, but the available features are pretty
bare (reading the comments doesn't work after all). And the same
scenario didn't work for gitlab.com because one of the steps is "browse
all projects". This seems to lead to a timeout. All in all, I wouldn't
recommend this project in its current state.

People have previously recommended Forge, and I'm looking into it, but
it's tied to Magit, and the workflow is such that you first check out
the repository locally, they you set up its "forge" from the Magit UI,
and then you can interact with it.

It's supposedly quite functional, but visiting a random issue on Gitlab
is not that easy to do.