* [BUG] tab-bar-move-tab-to missing force-mode-line-update
@ 2019-10-26 12:58 Ingo Lohmar
From: Ingo Lohmar @ 2019-10-26 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Related to the recent thread about mode-line/header updates, the
`tab-bar-move-tab-to' is missing a final `(force-mode-line-update)',
otherwise the tab title is not updated directly after moving the tab,
but only on the /following/ command.

Since it was relevant last time: I do *not* use tab-bar-mode, and I have
the frame-title set by

(setq frame-title-format
      '("emacs --- "
        ((bound-and-true-p wconf-string) wconf-string)
        ((bound-and-true-p tab-bar-tab-name-function)
         (:eval (format "%d: %s"
                        (tab-bar--current-tab-index)
                        (funcall tab-bar-tab-name-function))))
        (multiple-frames " %b")         ;else too busy
        (global-mode-string             ;time, load, battery?
         (" " global-mode-string))
        " "))

* Re: [BUG] tab-bar-move-tab-to missing force-mode-line-update
@ 2019-10-26 21:57 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2019-10-26 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Lohmar; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Related to the recent thread about mode-line/header updates, the
> `tab-bar-move-tab-to' is missing a final `(force-mode-line-update)',
> otherwise the tab title is not updated directly after moving the tab,
> but only on the /following/ command.

Thanks for noticing, this is fixed now.

It seems other new commands don't need it, if I'm not mistaken.

* Re: [BUG] tab-bar-move-tab-to missing force-mode-line-update
@ 2019-10-27  4:48   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-10-27  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: emacs-devel, ingo.lohmar

> From: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>
> Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 00:57:25 +0300
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Related to the recent thread about mode-line/header updates, the
> > `tab-bar-move-tab-to' is missing a final `(force-mode-line-update)',
> > otherwise the tab title is not updated directly after moving the tab,
> > but only on the /following/ command.
>
> Thanks for noticing, this is fixed now.
>
> It seems other new commands don't need it, if I'm not mistaken.

The way to test the assertion in the last sentence for a command is to
bind that command to a single key, like F5.  (If the command prompts
the user, make a wrapper command that supplies the response without
any user interaction.)  Then invoke the command with that key, and see
if the display is updated as required.