* multi-process elisp compilation?
@ 2021-07-26 19:44 Perry E. Metzger
From: Perry E. Metzger @ 2021-07-26 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Howdy! Nowadays, most of us have multiprocessor desktops, but so far as
I can tell, when compiling elisp to .elc (or .eln) during make of Emacs,
the build only takes advantage of one processor. Is there a magic option
to configure that I missed that will use all my processors to compile
elisp during the build?

Perry

* Re: multi-process elisp compilation?
@ 2021-07-27  2:23 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-07-27  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry E. Metzger; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 15:44:36 -0400
> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
>
> Howdy! Nowadays, most of us have multiprocessor desktops, but so far as
> I can tell, when compiling elisp to .elc (or .eln) during make of Emacs,
> the build only takes advantage of one processor. Is there a magic option
> to configure that I missed that will use all my processors to compile
> elisp during the build?

You mean, "make -jN" where N is the number of execution units?

* Re: multi-process elisp compilation?
@ 2021-07-27 12:42   ` Perry E. Metzger
From: Perry E. Metzger @ 2021-07-27 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 7/26/21 22:23, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
>>
>> Howdy! Nowadays, most of us have multiprocessor desktops, but so far as
>> I can tell, when compiling elisp to .elc (or .eln) during make of Emacs,
>> the build only takes advantage of one processor. Is there a magic option
>> to configure that I missed that will use all my processors to compile
>> elisp during the build?
> You mean, "make -jN" where N is the number of execution units?

Precisely, but that seems to work for building Emacs's .c files but not
for compiling the elisp files. I may have screwed something up in my
build; if it is expected to work, that would be useful information
because then I could try to debug what has gone wrong.

@ 2021-07-27 13:28     ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2021-07-27 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:

>> You mean, "make -jN" where N is the number of execution units?
>
> Precisely, but that seems to work for building Emacs's .c files but
> not for compiling the elisp files. I may have screwed something up in
> my build; if it is expected to work, that would be useful information
> because then I could try to debug what has gone wrong.

-jN works on Elisp files too.

Please note that some .el files take a while to build and they are a
dependency for a posterior build product, so it is possible that at some
time only one .el file is being compiled. Also, there are other products
that take a long time to build, so you could get the impression that the
build is working single-threaded.

But, for the most part, the build of the Elisp files is highly
parallized.

* Re: multi-process elisp compilation?
@ 2021-07-27 13:55     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-07-27 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry E. Metzger; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 08:42:50 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
>
> On 7/26/21 22:23, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
> >>
> >> Howdy! Nowadays, most of us have multiprocessor desktops, but so far as
> >> I can tell, when compiling elisp to .elc (or .eln) during make of Emacs,
> >> the build only takes advantage of one processor. Is there a magic option
> >> to configure that I missed that will use all my processors to compile
> >> elisp during the build?
> > You mean, "make -jN" where N is the number of execution units?
>
> Precisely, but that seems to work for building Emacs's .c files but not
> for compiling the elisp files.

No, it should compile the *.el files in parallel as well.  It works
here as expected, I use it all the time.