* Re: emacs-29 7fd822e7f5: Update Antinews in the user manual for Emacs 29
       [not found] ` <20230101153900.4FFB0C00A7F@vcs2.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2023-01-03  6:20   ` Sean Whitton
From: Sean Whitton @ 2023-01-03  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, Jan 01, 2023 at 10:39:00AM -0500, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>  @itemize @bullet
>  @item
> -Emacs can no longer be built with support of native compilation of
> -Lisp programs.  This means Emacs builds much faster, and the problems
> -that came with native compilation: the need to have GCC and Binutils
> -installed, the complications of managing your @file{eln-cache}
> -directories---all of that is now future history.  The simplicity and
> -elegance of the Emacs byte-compiled code is now restored in all of its
> -pristine beauty.
> +Like its newer releases, Emacs 28 can still be built with support of
> +native compilation of Lisp programs.  However, in preparation for
> +removal of this feature in some previous version, we've deleted the
> +capability of ahead-of-time native compilation of all the Lisp files
> +that come with Emacs.  This makes the Emacs build process much faster.

I am pretty sure Emacs 28 can do the AOT compilation, but you have to export
NATIVE_FULL_AOT rather than using a ./configure option.

--
Sean Whitton

* Re: emacs-29 7fd822e7f5: Update Antinews in the user manual for Emacs 29
@ 2023-01-03 12:20     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-01-03 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Whitton; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 06:20:42 +0000
> From: Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On Sun, Jan 01, 2023 at 10:39:00AM -0500, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > +Like its newer releases, Emacs 28 can still be built with support of
> > +native compilation of Lisp programs.  However, in preparation for
> > +removal of this feature in some previous version, we've deleted the
> > +capability of ahead-of-time native compilation of all the Lisp files
> > +that come with Emacs.  This makes the Emacs build process much faster.
>
> I am pretty sure Emacs 28 can do the AOT compilation, but you have to export
> NATIVE_FULL_AOT rather than using a ./configure option.

Thanks, we will consider fixing this inconsistency in some past
version of Emacs, but it doesn't sound urgent, given that Emacs 27 is
currently planned to remove native compilation altogether anyway.