* M-w, then C-y.  C-y inserts text properties that aren't on original.
@ 2010-02-18 20:29 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2010-02-18 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

In a C++ Mode buffer, I create a region containing a template-opener <,
M-w it, then C-y it.

The C-y puts a syntax-table property on the (copy of) the <, but this
property didn't exist on the original.

What _was_ on the original was a category property whose symbol had a
syntax-table property.

This is the root cause of bug 5570 (indentation messed up in C++).

Would somebody please suggest the part of Emacs I should be looking at
to debug this problem.

Thanks!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: M-w, then C-y. C-y inserts text properties that aren't on  original.
@ 2010-02-22 20:30 MON KEY
From: MON KEY @ 2010-02-22 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acm; +Cc: emacs-devel

,----
| The root cause of this mess is the confusion in text properties.
| Text properties (as opposed to overlays) become part of the text
| they're applied to, yet they're mostly used (e.g. for font locking)
| in situations where they're not intrinsically part of the text.
`----

The ``moslty'' generalization is far too broad a stroke.
You seem to be reducing this to a matter of presentation.

,----
| It would be better if these uses could use overlays, then copying
| the string would ignore the overlay.
`----

No, it would not.

There are a good many uses (some as yet poorly explored) where text
properties are the more suitable ``container'' than the equivalent
approach with overlays.

If anything it would be better if overlays were further deprecated.

/s_P\