* how reliable is rendering of complex scripts?
@ 2015-10-02  5:39 Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2015-10-02  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Folks,

I wonder how reliable emacs displays complex scripts like Devanagari
or Arabic.  For example, the maintainers of the HarfBuzz library did
extensive comparisons of the rendering results with the MS engine to
iron out zillions of small buglets in OpenType handling.

AFAIK, Emacs relies on the m17n libraries, at least on GNU/Linux (no
idea about other environments), controlling the OpenType handling
(partially?) with Lisp code – are there test suites to compare the
results?

    Werner

* Re: how reliable is rendering of complex scripts?
@ 2015-10-02  7:30 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-10-02  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Werner LEMBERG; +Cc: Kenichi Handa, emacs-devel

(CC'ing Handa-san, who wrote most of the relevant display code in
Emacs, and also the m17n shaping engine libraries.)

> Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 07:39:00 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org>
>
> I wonder how reliable emacs displays complex scripts like Devanagari
> or Arabic.

AFAIK, no one has ever performed a study about this, let alone
repeated it when the relevant standards changed.

> For example, the maintainers of the HarfBuzz library did extensive
> comparisons of the rendering results with the MS engine to iron out
> zillions of small buglets in OpenType handling.

At least on MS-Windows, Emacs uses the MS engine directly, so some of
similar buglets should not affect us on Windows.

> AFAIK, Emacs relies on the m17n libraries, at least on GNU/Linux (no
> idea about other environments), controlling the OpenType handling
> (partially?) with Lisp code

That is correct.  And while the shaping engines, like libm17n-flt and
Uniscribe, are beyond the scope of Emacs maintenance, the supporting
Lisp and C code is on our table.  However, we currently lack a
maintainer in that area (have been lacking for a long time), so I
guess we are not up to speed with the latest developments.  I'm
talking first and foremost about the definitions of
character-composition patterns, which tell Emacs which sequences of
characters should be rendered as a single grapheme cluster.  There's a
lot to do in this area for various languages.

> are there test suites to compare the results?

There's a test suite for bidirectional display, but it only tests the
reordering of characters for display, not the shaping.  There's
nothing else, AFAIK.  If you, or someone else, can work on adding one,
that'd be great.

* Re: how reliable is rendering of complex scripts?
@ 2015-10-04  4:39   ` Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2015-10-04  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: handa, emacs-devel

>> I wonder how reliable emacs displays complex scripts like
>> Devanagari or Arabic.
>
> AFAIK, no one has ever performed a study about this, let alone
> repeated it when the relevant standards changed.

This essentially means that Emacs developers wait for users to report
bad renderings, right?

>> For example, the maintainers of the HarfBuzz library did extensive
>> comparisons of the rendering results with the MS engine to iron out
>> zillions of small buglets in OpenType handling.
>
> At least on MS-Windows, Emacs uses the MS engine directly, so some
> of similar buglets should not affect us on Windows.

Well, this makes Emacs on MS-Windows really superior to other
platforms in this area, which is less than ideal...  I mean `superior'
in the sense that the rendering results on MS-Windows are well tested
and can be trusted in general, something that is missing otherwise.

>> AFAIK, Emacs relies on the m17n libraries, at least on GNU/Linux (no
>> idea about other environments), controlling the OpenType handling
>> (partially?) with Lisp code
>
> That is correct.  And while the shaping engines, like libm17n-flt
> and Uniscribe, are beyond the scope of Emacs maintenance, the
> supporting Lisp and C code is on our table.  However, we currently
> lack a maintainer in that area (have been lacking for a long time),
> so I guess we are not up to speed with the latest developments.  I'm
> talking first and foremost about the definitions of
> character-composition patterns, which tell Emacs which sequences of
> characters should be rendered as a single grapheme cluster.  There's
> a lot to do in this area for various languages.

Given that HarfBuzz is very mature today, and that it has been
extensively tested against Windows rendering results, and that it also
contains a large corpus of test cases for complex ligatures together
with a simple test TTY program (`hb-shape'), I suggest that someone
(probably Ken'ichi) writes a similar test program for libm17n so that
diffing would be possible.

  https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/tree/master/test/shaping
  https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/tree/master/util

>> are there test suites to compare the results?
>
> There's a test suite for bidirectional display, but it only tests
> the reordering of characters for display, not the shaping.  There's
> nothing else, AFAIK.  If you, or someone else, can work on adding
> one, that'd be great.

In case someone is working on this issue, asking the HarfBuzz
developer for assistance might be a good thing.  I guess that they
have even larger corpora that could be probably provided for testing
purposes.

@ 2015-10-04  7:07     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-10-04  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Werner LEMBERG; +Cc: handa, emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2015 06:39:52 +0200 (CEST)
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, handa@gnu.org
> From: Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org>
>
> >> I wonder how reliable emacs displays complex scripts like
> >> Devanagari or Arabic.
> >
> > AFAIK, no one has ever performed a study about this, let alone
> > repeated it when the relevant standards changed.
>
> This essentially means that Emacs developers wait for users to report
> bad renderings, right?

No, it means Emacs developers lack resources, knowledge, and motivated
individuals aboard to do that.  If you or someone else volunteers,
that'd be great.

Where we do have resources, we are generally ahead of HarfBuzz: e.g.,
the implementation of UAX#9 compliant with Unicode 6.3 - 8.0 was in
Emacs many moons before it was anywhere else in the Free Software
world, including HarfBuzz.

> >> For example, the maintainers of the HarfBuzz library did extensive
> >> comparisons of the rendering results with the MS engine to iron out
> >> zillions of small buglets in OpenType handling.
> >
> > At least on MS-Windows, Emacs uses the MS engine directly, so some
> > of similar buglets should not affect us on Windows.
>
> Well, this makes Emacs on MS-Windows really superior to other
> platforms in this area, which is less than ideal...  I mean `superior'
> in the sense that the rendering results on MS-Windows are well tested
> and can be trusted in general, something that is missing otherwise.

That's not entirely true, because, as I said, part of the data and
algorithms needed for complex script layout is in Emacs, and is used
on all supported platforms, not just by the Windows build.

> Given that HarfBuzz is very mature today, and that it has been
> extensively tested against Windows rendering results, and that it also
> contains a large corpus of test cases for complex ligatures together
> with a simple test TTY program (`hb-shape'), I suggest that someone
> (probably Ken'ichi) writes a similar test program for libm17n so that
> diffing would be possible.
>
>   https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/tree/master/test/shaping
>   https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/tree/master/util

Thanks for the pointer.  I will see if we can extract something from
there to see how Emacs displays those scripts.

> >> are there test suites to compare the results?
> >
> > There's a test suite for bidirectional display, but it only tests
> > the reordering of characters for display, not the shaping.  There's
> > nothing else, AFAIK.  If you, or someone else, can work on adding
> > one, that'd be great.
>
> In case someone is working on this issue, asking the HarfBuzz
> developer for assistance might be a good thing.  I guess that they
> have even larger corpora that could be probably provided for testing
> purposes.

No one is working on this, to the best of my knowledge.  Once again,
we lack individuals on board who understand these issues well enough
to do that.  A single bug in libm17n-flt reported a few months ago,
discovered in a script whose support is not even in Emacs, was fixed
by Handa-san, and that's about all the activity that I remember.

* Re: how reliable is rendering of complex scripts?
@ 2015-10-04  8:09       ` Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2015-10-04  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: handa, emacs-devel

>> This essentially means that Emacs developers wait for users to
>> report bad renderings, right?
>
> No, it means Emacs developers lack resources, knowledge, and
> motivated individuals aboard to do that.  If you or someone else
> volunteers, that'd be great.

I can only indirectly volunteer, namely by maintaining FreeType :-/

>> Well, this makes Emacs on MS-Windows really superior to other
>> platforms in this area, which is less than ideal...  I mean
>> `superior' in the sense that the rendering results on MS-Windows
>> are well tested and can be trusted in general, something that is
>> missing otherwise.
>
> That's not entirely true, because, as I said, part of the data and
> algorithms needed for complex script layout is in Emacs, and is used
> on all supported platforms, not just by the Windows build.

OK.

>>   https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/tree/master/test/shaping
>>   https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/tree/master/util
>
> I will see if we can extract something from there to see how Emacs
> displays those scripts.

The nice thing about `hb-shape' is that it doesn't output graphics but
a textual representation of the GSUB and GPOS manipulation results
(including reordering of the input).  In other words, Emacs could use
the same output format in a special test mode, making comparisons very
simple – and automated!

@ 2015-10-04  9:12         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-10-04  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Werner LEMBERG; +Cc: handa, emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2015 10:09:03 +0200 (CEST)
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, handa@gnu.org
> From: Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org>
>
> >>   https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/tree/master/test/shaping
> >>   https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/tree/master/util
> >
> > I will see if we can extract something from there to see how Emacs
> > displays those scripts.
>
> The nice thing about `hb-shape' is that it doesn't output graphics but
> a textual representation of the GSUB and GPOS manipulation results
> (including reordering of the input).  In other words, Emacs could use
> the same output format in a special test mode, making comparisons very
> simple – and automated!

Too bad.  It means these tests cannot be easily used by Emacs, because
(1) the shaping engine is not part of Emacs, and (2) to have something
even approximately close, Someone™ will have to add code to
composite.c, composite.el, etc. to produce such a textual description,
and for that, that Someone™ will have to study and understand the code
there enough to write the additions.  Unless Handa-san will find time
to do the main parts of this, of course.

Perhaps a good first step would be for someone to produce pictures of
the rendered texts from those tests (using Harfbuzz or anything else
that can be used as reference), and then we could compare that with
what Emacs produces for the same texts, and see how good or bad we are
doing.

Thanks.

* Re: how reliable is rendering of complex scripts?
@ 2015-10-04  9:40           ` Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2015-10-04  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: handa, emacs-devel

>> The nice thing about `hb-shape' is that it doesn't output graphics
>> but a textual representation of the GSUB and GPOS manipulation
>> results (including reordering of the input).  In other words, Emacs
>> could use the same output format in a special test mode, making
>> comparisons very simple – and automated!
>
> Too bad.

Hmm.  I consider this as a benefit, since comparison of images is much
harder, especially if the exact environment differs.  In particular,
for two identical, correct GSUB/GPOS representations of a text string,
you can easily get different rendering results for GDI and DWrite
ClearType (on Windows), normal grayscale rendering and auto-hinting
from FreeType, grayscale rendering on older Windows versions and Mac
OS X, different color filters used on different platforms etc., etc.

> It means these tests cannot be easily used by Emacs, because [...]

Well, if you need graphic output, use `hb-view', which creates images
of text strings.

> Perhaps a good first step would be for someone to produce pictures
> of the rendered texts from those tests (using Harfbuzz or anything
> else that can be used as reference), and then we could compare that
> with what Emacs produces for the same texts, and see how good or bad
> we are doing.

This is *exactly* what should be avoided IMHO.  It's both far too much
work and too imprecise.

@ 2015-10-04  9:57             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-10-04  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Werner LEMBERG; +Cc: handa, emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2015 11:40:17 +0200 (CEST)
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, handa@gnu.org
> From: Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org>
>
> > Perhaps a good first step would be for someone to produce pictures
> > of the rendered texts from those tests (using Harfbuzz or anything
> > else that can be used as reference), and then we could compare that
> > with what Emacs produces for the same texts, and see how good or bad
> > we are doing.
>
> This is *exactly* what should be avoided IMHO.  It's both far too much
> work and too imprecise.

Not if it's the only practical alternative (besides doing nothing).

* Re: how reliable is rendering of complex scripts?
@ 2015-10-04 18:06       ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2015-10-04 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> No one is working on this, to the best of my knowledge. Once again, we lack
> individuals on board who understand these issues well enough to do that.

Just FYI, I use Emacs to write in Arabic script fairly often (chatting in
Persian via ERC). I haven't noticed any specific rendering or right-to-left
issues yet, but do count me as someone with knowledge of and concern for these
issues. I know nothing about the other non-Latin scripts, however, or what
needs they might have.

John

* Re: how reliable is rendering of complex scripts?
@ 2015-10-04 19:45         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-10-04 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "John Wiegley" <johnw@newartisans.com>
> Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2015 11:06:32 -0700
>
> Just FYI, I use Emacs to write in Arabic script fairly often (chatting in
> Persian via ERC). I haven't noticed any specific rendering or right-to-left
> issues yet, but do count me as someone with knowledge of and concern for these
> issues.

Thanks.

One of the things that always bothered me are the composition rules
for Arabic and Persian (see the end of lisp/language/misc-lang.el).
Perhaps you could take a look at them, in particular the ZWJ and ZWNJ
related rules, and other similar stuff.  I think someone said in the
past we lack some rules there.

Also, the Harfbuzz test suite includes several text files that are
supposed to exercise Arabic and Persian shaping, so if you know what
is the correct display in all of the cases there, perhaps you could
see if Emacs displays them correctly.

* Re: how reliable is rendering of complex scripts?
@ 2015-10-04 21:43           ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2015-10-04 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> One of the things that always bothered me are the composition rules for
> Arabic and Persian (see the end of lisp/language/misc-lang.el). Perhaps you
> could take a look at them, in particular the ZWJ and ZWNJ related rules, and
> other similar stuff. I think someone said in the past we lack some rules
> there.

Hmm, it looks fine here, but maybe I don't quite understand yet. Z and W are
always "final" letters, making the J stand separate in ZWJ. The connective
between N and J in ZWNJ looks as I'd expect.

John

* Re: how reliable is rendering of complex scripts?
@ 2015-10-05  6:05             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-10-05  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: John Wiegley <johnw@newartisans.com>
> Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2015 14:43:12 -0700

> > One of the things that always bothered me are the composition rules for
> > Arabic and Persian (see the end of lisp/language/misc-lang.el). Perhaps you
> > could take a look at them, in particular the ZWJ and ZWNJ related rules, and
> > other similar stuff. I think someone said in the past we lack some rules
> > there.
>
> Hmm, it looks fine here, but maybe I don't quite understand yet. Z and W are
> always "final" letters, making the J stand separate in ZWJ. The connective
> between N and J in ZWNJ looks as I'd expect.

I meant ZWJ and ZWNJ the characters, U+200C and U+200D.  Or did I
misunderstand you?

* Re: how reliable is rendering of complex scripts?
@ 2015-10-05 18:18               ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2015-10-05 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I meant ZWJ and ZWNJ the characters, U+200C and U+200D. Or did I
> misunderstand you?

Ah, it was I who misunderstood, Eli. I don't use these characters when typing
in Emacs, only when preparing texts in layout applications.

The ZWNJ seems to work fine, but the ZWJ does not produce the behavior
documented here:

    http://persian.nmelrc.org/persianword/zwj.htm

That is, ZWJ does not extend the heh into a "heh do chesm" (heh with two
eyes), it just adds space before or after the final-form (circular) heh.

John

* Re: how reliable is rendering of complex scripts?
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-10-05 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley, Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: John Wiegley <johnw@newartisans.com>
> Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 11:18:57 -0700

> > I meant ZWJ and ZWNJ the characters, U+200C and U+200D. Or did I
> > misunderstand you?
>
> Ah, it was I who misunderstood, Eli. I don't use these characters when typing
> in Emacs, only when preparing texts in layout applications.
>
> The ZWNJ seems to work fine, but the ZWJ does not produce the behavior
> documented here:
>
>     http://persian.nmelrc.org/persianword/zwj.htm
>
> That is, ZWJ does not extend the heh into a "heh do chesm" (heh with two
> eyes), it just adds space before or after the final-form (circular) heh.

I tried to fix that, but I'm not sure it helped.  Maybe I simply don't
understand how to write entries for composition-function-table.
Perhaps Handa-san could help.

* Re: how reliable is rendering of complex scripts?
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-10-06 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: johnw, handa; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 22:22:15 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > The ZWNJ seems to work fine, but the ZWJ does not produce the behavior
> > documented here:
> >
> >     http://persian.nmelrc.org/persianword/zwj.htm
> >
> > That is, ZWJ does not extend the heh into a "heh do chesm" (heh with two
> > eyes), it just adds space before or after the final-form (circular) heh.
>
> I tried to fix that, but I'm not sure it helped.  Maybe I simply don't
> understand how to write entries for composition-function-table.
> Perhaps Handa-san could help.

I found a subtle bug in the Emacs bidi reordering engine that affected
this.  After fixing it, the display is more reasonable in these cases.
The only remaining problem is display of sequences where the
zero-width controls are not between 2 Arabic letters, e.g. a u+0647
followed by ZWJ and a newline, in a left-to-right paragraph, a
relatively rare situation (it does work correctly in R2L paragraphs).
The special requirements for treating ZWJ and ZWNJ during the bidi
reordering are hard to implement, and the advice in the UBA is
incompatible with the design of the Emacs display engine.  I will have
to think about this some more.

One thing that still bothers me is that even though the shaping of the
Arabic letters is clearly affected by ZWJ and ZWNJ after the fix, the
"C-u C-x =" command doesn't say there was a character composition
there.  Perhaps Handa-san could explain why is that.  Is it a bug?