* bzr protocol?
@ 2010-02-19  6:18 Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2010-02-19  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Is there any progress in adding the bzr protocol to Savannah to make
pulling quicker and consuming less bandwidth?

    Werner

* Re: bzr protocol?
@ 2010-02-19  6:28 ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2010-02-19  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Werner LEMBERG; +Cc: emacs-devel

Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:
>Is there any progress in adding the bzr protocol to Savannah to make
>pulling quicker and consuming less bandwidth?

Not yet.  At some point, when I've discharged certain current
responsibilities, I may join the Savannah admins in helping maintain
Bazaar, and I would try to push this forward then.  (But I'm very much
hoping someone can do it before then, because it will probably be weeks
before I can join.)

-Karl

* Re: bzr protocol?
@ 2010-02-19  9:53   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-02-19  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Fogel; +Cc: Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

> From: Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com>
> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 01:28:19 -0500
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:
> >Is there any progress in adding the bzr protocol to Savannah to make
> >pulling quicker and consuming less bandwidth?
>
> Not yet.  At some point, when I've discharged certain current
> responsibilities, I may join the Savannah admins in helping maintain
> Bazaar, and I would try to push this forward then.  (But I'm very much
> hoping someone can do it before then, because it will probably be weeks
> before I can join.)

That's very sad.  It's been 6 weeks since I requested the Savannah
admins to set this up (and Richard backed me up), and now we are told
there will be weeks more to wait.  I really have hard time to believe
that it's such a hard job that we need to wait several months for it
to be done.

* Re: bzr protocol?
@ 2010-02-20 15:33     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2010-02-20 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: kfogel, emacs-devel

The problem is there is only one volunteer who can do this sort of
thing on Savannah.

* Re: bzr protocol?
@ 2010-02-20 16:00 ` David De La Harpe Golden
From: David De La Harpe Golden @ 2010-02-20 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> Is there any progress in adding the bzr protocol to Savannah to make
> pulling quicker and consuming less bandwidth?
>

>     Werner

FWIW, I've taken to doing the following in the (possibly mistaken) hope
it speeds things up a bit:

1. setup a bzr shared repo
2. pull lp:emacs into branch "lptrunk" in it.
3. pull savannah emacs into  branch trunk in it.

When updating, pull 2 then 3, to minimise amount to grab from savannah.

  - launchpad emacs mirror is "genetically related" to savannah (pulled
from it) and is much faster than savannah (still feels kinda slow, but
hey I use git at work...), and only a few hours behind at most afaik.

Or maybe I'm imagining that it's any better at all, I haven't really
looked into how smart bzr is about these things or done benchmarks.

* Re: bzr protocol?
@ 2010-02-20 16:29       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-02-20 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: kfogel, emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 10:33:47 -0500
> Cc: kfogel@red-bean.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> The problem is there is only one volunteer who can do this sort of
> thing on Savannah.

And how high is this job on that volunteer's priorities?

* Re: bzr protocol?
@ 2010-02-20 18:36     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-02-20 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Karl Fogel, Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> That's very sad.  It's been 6 weeks since I requested the Savannah
> admins to set this up (and Richard backed me up), and now we are told
> there will be weeks more to wait.

The situation is sad, but it's been very good of Karl to be one of the
few people willing to put his money (time) where his mouth is with
respect to Emacs and Bazaar (both WRT this and to documentation).
Thanks!

I think Stefan made basically the same request of Savannah about 3
months ago:

http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=detailitem&item_id=107077#comment13

Others have been asking for it for even longer.

The only conclusion I can draw is that either administering Bazaar is
for some reason much more complicated than the rest of Savannah (since
they are asking for specific help with Bazaar, rather than in
general); or that support for what (AIUI) is supposed to be the GNU
project's version control system of choice isn't a high priority for
Savannah (which advertizes itself as the "central point for
development, maintenance and distribution of official GNU software").

* Re: bzr protocol?
@ 2010-02-22  3:34       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2010-02-22  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Karl Fogel, Eli Zaretskii, Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:
> that support for what (AIUI) is supposed to be the GNU
> project's version control system of choice isn't a high priority for
> Savannah (which advertizes itself as the "central point for
> development, maintenance and distribution of official GNU software").

That wouldn't necessarily be surprising -- if project demand for bzr
support is very small, and project demand for support of other stuff is
high, then bzr may receive a small allocation of the available (limited)
manpower.  This is as it should be, as it maximizes the benefit to GNU
projects (on savannah) overall.

-Miles

--
Youth, n. The Period of Possibility, when Archimedes finds a fulcrum,
Cassandra has a following and seven cities compete for the honor of endowing a