* Annoying resizing of Rmail windows
@ 2011-07-10  9:24 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-07-10  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

With yesterday's trunk, I see an annoying resizing of windows when I
work in Rmail.  (I didn't try to use Rmail with Emacs 24 for a long
time.)

My window configuration in an Rmail frame is to split the frame in 2,
and have the Rmail summary window above the window where Rmail shows
the current message.  I normally make the summary window small, so
that only a few lines are shown in it, with the rest of the frame
taken by the message display.

I have even-window-heights set to nil in my ~/.emacs.  I expect that,
once I determine the size of each of these two windows, they are never
resized by Emacs, only by myself.

This workd in Emacs 23.3, but doesn't work with 24.0.50: whenever
Rmail displays another message (e.g., when I type `n' or `p' to go to
the next or previous message), the window sizes are "evened", although
even-window-heights is nil.

Stepping with Edebug through the Rmail code reveals that the windows
are resized by the function rmail-pop-to-buffer, which calls
pop-to-buffer.

I see that the value of display-buffer-alist has this:

  (reuse-window-even-sizes . t)

Shouldn't that part be gone when even-window-heights is nil?

In any case, please help me get rid of this annoyance, TIA.

* Re: Annoying resizing of Rmail windows
@ 2011-07-10 10:21 ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2011-07-10 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > I see that the value of display-buffer-alist has this:
 >
 >   (reuse-window-even-sizes . t)
 >
 > Shouldn't that part be gone when even-window-heights is nil?

Indeed.

 > In any case, please help me get rid of this annoyance, TIA.

Should be fixed now.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

martin

* Re: Annoying resizing of Rmail windows
@ 2011-07-10 11:59   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-07-10 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 12:21:35 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>  > I see that the value of display-buffer-alist has this:
>  >
>  >   (reuse-window-even-sizes . t)
>  >
>  > Shouldn't that part be gone when even-window-heights is nil?
>
> Indeed.
>
>  > In any case, please help me get rid of this annoyance, TIA.
>
> Should be fixed now.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks, but for some reason I still see the old behavior, after
rebuilding Emacs.

And the change you made, viz.

	 ;; `even-window-heights'
	 (unless (and (boundp 'even-window-heights)
  -		   (not even-window-heights))
  +		   even-window-heights)
	  (setq specifiers
		(cons (cons 'reuse-window-even-sizes t) specifiers)))

seems to be backwards, i.e. the original code was correct.  Perhaps
instead you should add `(reuse-window-even-sizes)', i.e. with an
explicit nil cdr, if even-window-heights is nil?  Or am I missing
something obvious?

Thanks.

* Re: Annoying resizing of Rmail windows
@ 2011-07-10 12:48     ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2011-07-10 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > And the change you made, viz.
 >
 > 	 ;; `even-window-heights'
 > 	 (unless (and (boundp 'even-window-heights)
 >   -		   (not even-window-heights))
 >   +		   even-window-heights)
 > 	  (setq specifiers
 > 		(cons (cons 'reuse-window-even-sizes t) specifiers)))
 >
 > seems to be backwards, i.e. the original code was correct.

You're right.  I reverted that change.

 > Perhaps
 > instead you should add `(reuse-window-even-sizes)', i.e. with an
 > explicit nil cdr, if even-window-heights is nil?  Or am I missing
 > something obvious?

No.  The problem is, as you told earlier, that there is a

  (reuse-window-even-sizes . t)

in your `display-buffer-alist' (I misread that the first time) which
overrides the setting derived from the `even-window-heights' setting.  I
don't know how it got there but you simply have to remove it (by default
`display-buffer-alist' is nil now).

martin

* Re: Annoying resizing of Rmail windows
@ 2011-07-10 13:08       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-07-10 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 14:48:24 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> No.  The problem is, as you told earlier, that there is a
>
>   (reuse-window-even-sizes . t)
>
> in your `display-buffer-alist' (I misread that the first time) which
> overrides the setting derived from the `even-window-heights' setting.  I
> don't know how it got there but you simply have to remove it (by default
> `display-buffer-alist' is nil now).

I know how it got there: I was using yesterday's trunk, where
display-buffer-alist by default has reuse-window-even-sizes set to t.
With today's nil value, Emacs works as expected.

Thanks.

* Re: Annoying resizing of Rmail windows
@ 2011-07-10 13:30         ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2011-07-10 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > I know how it got there: I was using yesterday's trunk, where
 > display-buffer-alist by default has reuse-window-even-sizes set to t.
 > With today's nil value, Emacs works as expected.

Strange.  The default value was changed yesterday together with all
other related options.  I suppose it happened because you remained in
the same session after updating.

martin

* Re: Annoying resizing of Rmail windows
@ 2011-07-10 16:30           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-07-10 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 15:30:51 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>  > I know how it got there: I was using yesterday's trunk, where
>  > display-buffer-alist by default has reuse-window-even-sizes set to t.
>  > With today's nil value, Emacs works as expected.
>
> Strange.  The default value was changed yesterday together with all
> other related options.  I suppose it happened because you remained in
> the same session after updating.

Quite simply, my trunk was from before the changes yesterday.  I only
updated after you told that you fixed the problem I reported.

Thanks.