* Ruby mode using tree-sitter
@ 2022-12-06 19:56 Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2022-12-06 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I asked on Reddit if there is anyone already developing a Ruby mode using tree-sitter.  They suggested ask here.  It seems volunteers were being solicited recently.

I don’t want to officially volunteer but if no one is working on one, I’ll start pecking at it.  I’m not confident enough to volunteer.  At least not until I’ve wadded deeper into it.

I’ve found https://tree-sitter.github.io/tree-sitter/ and a few other resources such as the start-guide in admin/notes/tree-sitter.  If there are any other helpful references, please let me know.  I plan on using typescript-ts-mode as a guide.

Thank you,
Perry

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP --]

* Re: Ruby mode using tree-sitter
@ 2022-12-06 20:18 ` Theodor Thornhill
From: Theodor Thornhill @ 2022-12-06 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Perry Smith

Hi!

On 6 December 2022 20:56:15 CET, Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com> wrote:
>I asked on Reddit if there is anyone already developing a Ruby mode using tree-sitter.  They suggested ask here.  It seems volunteers were being solicited recently.
>
>I don’t want to officially volunteer but if no one is working on one, I’ll start pecking at it.  I’m not confident enough to volunteer.  At least not until I’ve wadded deeper into it.

I don't think anyone has volunteered for ruby yet, no. I'm sure it will be a welcome addition!

>I’ve found https://tree-sitter.github.io/tree-sitter/ and a few other resources such as the start-guide in admin/notes/tree-sitter.  If there are any other helpful references, please let me know.  I plan on using typescript-ts-mode as a guide.

I suggest you just start hacking on it, it is quite easy when you get the hang of it! I think you could look at all the ts-modes for inspiration.

And just ask if you're stuck!

>Thank you,
>Perry

Thank you!

Theo

* Re: Ruby mode using tree-sitter
@ 2022-12-07  0:09 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2022-12-07  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry Smith, emacs-devel

Hi Perry,

On 06/12/2022 21:56, Perry Smith wrote:
> I asked on Reddit if there is anyone already developing a Ruby mode
> using tree-sitter.  They suggested ask here.  It seems volunteers were
> being solicited recently.
>
> I don’t want to officially volunteer but if no one is working on one,
> I’ll start pecking at it.  I’m not confident enough to volunteer.  At
> least not until I’ve wadded deeper into it.

It's on my list, but I'm not sure if I'll get around to it soon enough
to put it in Emacs 29. But it's possible to release it later on GNU ELPA
as a :core package.

If you want to take the initiative, though, please go ahead.

* Re: Ruby mode using tree-sitter
@ 2022-12-07  9:36   ` Yilkal Argaw
From: Yilkal Argaw @ 2022-12-07  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: Perry Smith, emacs-devel

> I asked on Reddit if there is anyone already developing a Ruby mode using
> tree-sitter.  They suggested ask here.  It seems volunteers were being
> solicited recently.
>
> I don’t want to officially volunteer but if no one is working on one, I’ll
> start pecking at it.  I’m not confident enough to volunteer.  At least not
> until I’ve wadded deeper into it.
>
> I’ve found https://tree-sitter.github.io/tree-sitter/ and a few other
> resources such as the start-guide in admin/notes/tree-sitter.  If there are
> any other helpful references, please let me know.  I plan on using
> typescript-ts-mode as a guide.

Good examples would be other modes like typescript-ts-mode that use the
built in emacs' treesitter api.  They are simpler point to get started.

@ 2022-12-07 17:57   ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2022-12-07 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> On Dec 6, 2022, at 18:09, Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:
>
> Hi Perry,
>
> On 06/12/2022 21:56, Perry Smith wrote:
>> I asked on Reddit if there is anyone already developing a Ruby mode using tree-sitter.  They suggested ask here.  It seems volunteers were being solicited recently.
>> I don’t want to officially volunteer but if no one is working on one, I’ll start pecking at it.  I’m not confident enough to volunteer.  At least not until I’ve wadded deeper into it.
>
> It's on my list, but I'm not sure if I'll get around to it soon enough to put it in Emacs 29. But it's possible to release it later on GNU ELPA as a :core package.
>
> If you want to take the initiative, though, please go ahead.

I am working on it but I am sure it will be slow going for me.  I see macros are being used.  I understand what backtick ` and comma , do and it looks like @foo can be used to refer to a variable within a let of a macro.  But I’m not familiar with what brackets do [xxxx] within a macro.  But I’ll dig it out.

I was going to create a git repository and so others could contribute test and contribute but if this is destined for FSF, that might complicate things since everyone who contributes would need to sign off.  Is that correct?

Thank you,
Perry

* Re: Ruby mode using tree-sitter
@ 2022-12-07 18:06     ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2022-12-07 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 07/12/2022 19:57, Perry Smith wrote:
> I was going to create a git repository and so others could contribute test and contribute but if this is destined for FSF, that might complicate things since everyone who contributes would need to sign off.  Is that correct?

For the result to be distributed with Emacs, it will indeed need to have
copyright-assigned to FSF.

I'm not sure it's a many-people's job, FWIW. And if you post the patches
here to test, you will certainly get some reviews, and recommendations,
and etc.

 > But I’m not familiar with what brackets do [xxxx] within a macro.
But I’ll dig it out.

Brackets are just brackets, I think. It's an array syntax.

* Re: Ruby mode using tree-sitter
@ 2022-12-07 18:15     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-12-07 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: dgutov, emacs-devel

> From: Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com>
> Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 11:57:56 -0600
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> I was going to create a git repository and so others could contribute test and contribute but if this is destined for FSF, that might complicate things since everyone who contributes would need to sign off.  Is that correct?

Only if their contributions are above some threshold.