* Personal gift - INR 10,000  (Ten Thousand) - to new contributors
@ 2014-03-21 13:34 Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2014-03-21 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Personal gift - INR 10,000 - to new contributors

(INR => Indian Rupees)

I have been harboring this idea for a while (> 5 years) and this is the
first time I am making an announcement on the public list.

Rough guidelines are:

1. Individuals only.
2. Open only to first time contributors.
3. Self-contained task that improve specific aspects of Emacs
   (Preferably, the C parts) .

   Stefan or Eli frequently mention what aspects they would like to see
   improved.

4. I will hand over the gift only after the feature has been accepted in
   to the trunk.

This announcement is a personal initiative.  i.e., I haven't consulted
or informed the Emacs developers or maintainers while making this
announcement.  They may or may not approve of it.

I will NOT involve myself in:

    1. The feature that is picked
    2. The technical aspects of the work in any way.

If you want to claim the gift, you can point me to

    1. The specific feature that is implemented.
    2. The quantum of code as it hits the trunk.

* Re: Personal gift - INR 10,000  (Ten Thousand) - to new contributors
@ 2014-03-21 13:47 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2014-03-21 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>    Stefan or Eli frequently mention what aspects they would like to see
>    improved.

Here is one such feature:

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-08/msg00308.html

If others know of some features please feel free to add to the list.

Please note that I will consider ANY feature that would improve Emacs in
useful ways.  (i.e., I have no personal agenda or a specific area of
interest)

* Re: Personal gift - INR 10,000  (Ten Thousand) - to new contributors
@ 2014-03-21 18:57   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2014-03-21 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Here is one such feature:

	http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-08/msg00308.html

That's an internal rearrangement that might perhaps speed something
up, but it doesn't talk about providing new features.  I would not
prioritize it.

What I would like to see is a feature to enhance Emacs's ability
to display formatted documents.  For instance, making indentation
work in terms of fractions of characters, so we can display properly
aligned tables with variable-with fonts.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation

* Re: Personal gift - INR 10,000  (Ten Thousand) - to new contributors
@ 2014-03-21 19:02     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-03-21 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: kjambunathan, emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 14:57:39 -0400
> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> What I would like to see is a feature to enhance Emacs's ability
> to display formatted documents.  For instance, making indentation
> work in terms of fractions of characters, so we can display properly
> aligned tables with variable-with fonts.

Isn't this already possible with ':align-to' display specs?  See the
nodes "Specified Space" and "Pixel Specification" in the ELisp manual.

* Re: Personal gift - INR 10,000  (Ten Thousand) - to new contributors
@ 2014-03-21 21:57       ` Stefan
From: Stefan @ 2014-03-21 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel, rms, kjambunathan

>> What I would like to see is a feature to enhance Emacs's ability
>> to display formatted documents.  For instance, making indentation
>> work in terms of fractions of characters, so we can display properly
>> aligned tables with variable-with fonts.
> Isn't this already possible with ':align-to' display specs?  See the
> nodes "Specified Space" and "Pixel Specification" in the ELisp manual.

Yes, "indentation in terms of fractions of characters" is possible
with :align-to, but that doesn't really help displaying tables with
variable-width fonts.  I mean, it helps, but not enough to get
a reliable result.

I know of immediate 2 problems when doing such an aligned table:
- can't do right-alignment because the indentation needed depends on the
  pixel width of the variable-width text.
- can't reliably truncate elements because, again, we don't know their
  pixel width, so if we use "char-width" instead (the best we have so
  far) we sometimes truncate too early and sometimes too late.
Both of those problems affect existing Emacs packages.  We could
probably solve both problems by adding a new display spec which would
specify a width to use for the covered text, along with whether to align
it on the left or the right (and maybe which glyph to use the indicate
truncation when truncation is needed).