* How do I paste at new point with middle click?
@ 2018-07-29 15:12 Bruce Korb
From: Bruce Korb @ 2018-07-29 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs development

It used to work that way, but with a new installation and a clobbered
~/.emacs file,
it doesn't any more. My search terms haven't located the answer. If I
want to paste
at the current point, I'd use Ctl-y. I used to demarcate a region with
left-click and
right-click and then drop the selection in a new place with
middle-click. Quick. Easy.
Dunno what setting must have done that :(

Thank you in advance!  - Bruce

* Re: How do I paste at new point with middle click?
@ 2018-07-29 16:43 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <CAKRnqNKYigmAbQr6Qjo9OChuo5EpfBRvnXTmKqpLvxKn4nu9Jg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-07-29 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Korb; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Bruce Korb <bruce.korb@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 08:12:07 -0700
>
> It used to work that way, but with a new installation and a clobbered
> ~/.emacs file,
> it doesn't any more. My search terms haven't located the answer. If I
> want to paste
> at the current point, I'd use Ctl-y. I used to demarcate a region with
> left-click and
> right-click and then drop the selection in a new place with
> middle-click. Quick. Easy.

What version of Emacs is that?  If Emacs 24, look in NEWS for changes
described under "Selection changes", if a later version of Emacs, look
for that section in NEWS.24.

In a nutshell, the handling of the primary selection and the clipboard
has changed; NEWS explains the details and tells you how to get the
old behavior back.

* Re: How do I paste at new point with middle click?
       [not found]     ` <CAKRnqN+dPnQSn=b-dFocMrkr=kuBQtapufD99fSWVd0Pf6H1dA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2018-07-29 22:16       ` Bruce Korb
From: Bruce Korb @ 2018-07-29 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, emacs development

I take it back. It is actually back to sometimes using the clipboard
and sometimes using the primary selection and I am finding it pretty
difficult to figure out which is which. I was apparently using the
right pairings for a while, but got bitten. "leave it alone" would
have been a better option. :( Is there some place with a set of elisp
commands I can add to my .emacs file to make it all go back to normal?
This is really confusing and really bad.

--

@ 2018-07-30  1:12         ` Bruce Korb
From: Bruce Korb @ 2018-07-30  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, emacs development

This link?

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CopyAndPaste

Can't get it to work. What I really want is all paste-able text to be
in the x-clipboard
so that it is accessible from other applications and it gets pasted in
emacs whether
I use Ctl-Y or middle-mouse-button. How that happens, I don't care. I
do *NOT* want
to have to think about "how do I get these characters into the
paste-able buffer?"
Am I going to paste with middle mouse in an Xterm? With middle mouse in emacs?
with Ctl-Y in emacs? With Ctl-V in some other app? I DO NOT KNOW AND I DO NOT
WANT TO CARE, either. that "wiki" page is too obtuse for me to figure
how to do it.
I'm a newbie. I've only been using emacs since 1984.

--

@ 2018-07-30  2:32     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-07-30  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Korb; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Bruce Korb <bruce.korb@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 12:20:41 -0700
>
> The one hangout item is middle button pasting at point instead of current
> mouse location.

What is your value of mouse-yank-at-point?  It sounds like you want it
non-nil.

* Re: How do I paste at new point with middle click?
@ 2018-07-30  2:34         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-07-30  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Korb; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Bruce Korb <bruce.korb@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 15:16:10 -0700
>
> Is there some place with a set of elisp commands I can add to my
> .emacs file to make it all go back to normal?

In the NEWS file I pointed to, although it just tells you what
variables to change and what commands to bind to what gestures, it
doesn't show actual Lisp.

* Re: How do I paste at new point with middle click?
@ 2018-07-30  2:37           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-07-30  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Korb; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Bruce Korb <bruce.korb@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 18:12:51 -0700
>
> This link?
>
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CopyAndPaste
>
> Can't get it to work. What I really want is all paste-able text to be
> in the x-clipboard
> so that it is accessible from other applications and it gets pasted in
> emacs whether
> I use Ctl-Y or middle-mouse-button. How that happens, I don't care. I
> do *NOT* want
> to have to think about "how do I get these characters into the
> paste-able buffer?"
> Am I going to paste with middle mouse in an Xterm? With middle mouse in emacs?
> with Ctl-Y in emacs? With Ctl-V in some other app? I DO NOT KNOW AND I DO NOT
> WANT TO CARE, either. that "wiki" page is too obtuse for me to figure
> how to do it.

The file NEWS.24 describes how to get back that old behavior, under
"Selection changes" (near the end of that section).  Did you do what
it says?

@ 2018-07-30  7:32   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2018-07-30  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Bruce Korb, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Bruce Korb <bruce.korb@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 08:12:07 -0700
>>
>> It used to work that way, but with a new installation and a clobbered
>> ~/.emacs file,
>> it doesn't any more. My search terms haven't located the answer. If I
>> want to paste
>> at the current point, I'd use Ctl-y. I used to demarcate a region with
>> left-click and
>> right-click and then drop the selection in a new place with
>> middle-click. Quick. Easy.
>
> What version of Emacs is that?  If Emacs 24, look in NEWS for changes
> described under "Selection changes", if a later version of Emacs, look
> for that section in NEWS.24.
>
> In a nutshell, the handling of the primary selection and the clipboard
> has changed; NEWS explains the details and tells you how to get the
> old behavior back.

Is the issue that the text doesnʼt end up at point? In that case you'd
need to set 'mouse-yank-at-point'.

Robert

* Re: How do I paste at new point with middle click?
@ 2018-07-30 13:39             ` Bruce Korb
From: Bruce Korb @ 2018-07-30 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs development

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 7:37 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> The file NEWS.24 describes how to get back that old behavior, under
> "Selection changes" (near the end of that section).  Did you do what
> it says?

(setq c-basic-offset 4)
(setq initial-buffer-choice 'nil)
(setq inhibit-startup-screen 't)
(when window-system (set-frame-size (selected-frame) 83 125))

(global-set-key (kbd "<mouse-2>") 'x-clipboard-yank)
(setq mouse-drag-copy-region 't)
(setq mouse-yank-at-point 't)
(setq save-interprogram-paste-before-kill 't)
(setq select-active-regions 'nil)
(setq x-select-enable-clipboard 'nil)
(setq x-select-enable-primary 't)

You mentioned "NEWS.24", but the emacs page https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/
does not have a link. So now I have downloaded emacs 24.1 just for the
etc/NEWS file.
The relevant stuff being around line 400 of 1,470 lines.

So I changed the mouse-2 binding:
(global-set-key (kbd "<mouse-2>") 'mouse-yank-at-click)
but the result is the same. The paste happens at point instead of mouse cursor.
Anyway, given that emacs 24 is only now making it into the wild and causing
wild frustration (at least for me), please consider a straight up elisp text box
on the emacs page:

    (global-set-key (kbd "<mouse-2>") 'mouse-yank-at-click)
    (setq mouse-drag-copy-region 't)
    (setq mouse-yank-at-point 't)
    (setq save-interprogram-paste-before-kill 't)
    (setq select-active-regions 'nil)
    (setq x-select-enable-clipboard 'nil)
    (setq x-select-enable-primary 't)

except also with whatever fix is necessary for paste-at-mouse-point
instead of paste-at-point. Thank you. (Aside: I drag selected the above
elisp from a terminal and click-pasted in my browser to the mouse
point and *I CANNOT DO THAT IN EMACS*!! So, you do not seem
to be compatible "with modern X programs".)

Sorry for ranting. Just such a fundamental discontinuity and not-
normal-X-behavior is, as I said, "frustrating".

Regards, Bruce

* Re: How do I paste at new point with middle click?
@ 2018-07-30 13:45               ` Bruce Korb
From: Bruce Korb @ 2018-07-30 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs development

    (global-set-key (kbd "<mouse-2>") 'mouse-yank-at-click)
    (setq mouse-drag-copy-region 't)
    (setq mouse-yank-at-point 'nil)
    (setq save-interprogram-paste-before-kill 't)
    (setq select-active-regions 'nil)
    (setq x-select-enable-clipboard 'nil)
    (setq x-select-enable-primary 't)

;;; It seems I didn't understand this mouse-yank-at-point setting.
I tried "describe-key" and middle clicked in the command window
and finally got the explanation I needed.

* Re: How do I paste at new point with middle click?
@ 2018-07-30 13:50               ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2018-07-30 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Korb; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs development

On 30 July 2018 at 09:39, Bruce Korb <bruce.korb@gmail.com> wrote:

> You mentioned "NEWS.24", but the emacs page https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/
> does not have a link. So now I have downloaded emacs 24.1 just for the
> etc/NEWS file.
> The relevant stuff being around line 400 of 1,470 lines.

You can access the NEWS for Emacs 24 from within Emacs using C-u 2 4 C-h N.

If your current Emacs is any 24.x version, then just C-h N will also
show you the same info.

* Re: How do I paste at new point with middle click?
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-07-30 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Korb; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Bruce Korb <bruce.korb@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 06:45:05 -0700
> Cc: emacs development <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
>     (global-set-key (kbd "<mouse-2>") 'mouse-yank-at-click)
>     (setq mouse-drag-copy-region 't)
>     (setq mouse-yank-at-point 'nil)
>     (setq save-interprogram-paste-before-kill 't)
>     (setq select-active-regions 'nil)
>     (setq x-select-enable-clipboard 'nil)
>     (setq x-select-enable-primary 't)
>
> ;;; It seems I didn't understand this mouse-yank-at-point setting.
> I tried "describe-key" and middle clicked in the command window
> and finally got the explanation I needed.

I'm not sure I follow: does that mean your problem is solved, and you
have the behavior you wanted?

* Re: How do I paste at new point with middle click?
@ 2018-07-30 14:48                   ` Bruce Korb
From: Bruce Korb @ 2018-07-30 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs development

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 7:37 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> >     (global-set-key (kbd "<mouse-2>") 'mouse-yank-at-click)
> >     (setq mouse-drag-copy-region 't)
> >     (setq mouse-yank-at-point 'nil)
> >     (setq save-interprogram-paste-before-kill 't)
> >     (setq select-active-regions 'nil)
> >     (setq x-select-enable-clipboard 'nil)
> >     (setq x-select-enable-primary 't)
> >
> > ;;; It seems I didn't understand this mouse-yank-at-point setting.
> > I tried "describe-key" and middle clicked in the command window
> > and finally got the explanation I needed.
>
> I'm not sure I follow: does that mean your problem is solved, and you
> have the behavior you wanted?

That is what I was trying to say. I'm sorry it was not clearer.
Well, the elisp is what I'd suggest you add to your gnu emacs
page so that other folks don't have to decipher the meaning
and nuances of primary selections versus clipboards. :)