From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org>
Cc: acm@muc.de, stefan@marxist.se, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Yikes! easy-menu-add is suddenly compiled to `ignore', without any warning.
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 14:37:16 +0300	[thread overview]

> From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org>
> Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 13:24:57 +0200
> Cc: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>, emacs-devel@gnu.org

> > This function is only relevant in XEmacs, so if this is important to
> > you I recommend changing any such call to say:
>
> >   (when (featurep 'xemacs)
> >     (easy-menu-add foo-menu))
>
> Why can't it be left in place, though? An alias for "ignore" is cheap
> and requires zero maintenance.

"Zero maintenance" is an exaggeration, IME.  Not every code fragment
that uses these compatibility shims is as clear-cut as the snippet
above; more often than not, when working on code which references
those shims, one needs to dig quite deeply into the sources until
he/she understands that the code is a no-op in Emacs.  That digging
takes/wastes time and effort.

> OTOH, removing it will make the life of those people who try to keep
> their packages compatible with XEmacs more complicated.

I'm sorry, but that ship has sailed several months ago.  Gobs of
XEmacs compatibility features were removed already, after the removal
move was announced.  Are you saying we should reinstate all of them
back?  If not, what is so special about this particular one?