* The fixes-bug field
@ 2014-01-16 14:15 Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-01-16 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I now have what appears to be a complete list of tag dispositions.
I still don't have a maintainer decision on whether we're going to
keep using pretest tags; until I hear otherwise they will be
retained.  Release tags will be replaced by cryptosigned tag
objects. Most other tags have been confirmed irrelevant and
will be discarded.

Here's an updated list of fossil references in the Emacs tree and
commit comments.  Some are to Bazaar revisions, some to CVS.  My next
major task will be to figure out how these map onto action stamps
so they can be converted into VCS-independent form.

ChangeLog:
	revno 108687
admin/ChangeLog:
	revno:105007
etc/ChangeLog:
	r112148
	revno:108936
	revision 106831
	CVS-1.61
	1.61 in CVS
lib-src/ChangeLog:
	revno:106608
	revno 100789
lisp/ChangeLog:
	rev. 110325
	r115470
	of 2012-12-20 (r111276)
	2013-12-11 (r115470)
	revno:114543
	revno:113793
	revno:113117
	r114834
	revno:113431
	revno:113147
masdos/ChangeLog
	revno 101897
	revno 101876
	revno 100306
nt/ChangeLog:
	revno 108687
src/ChangeLog:
	revision 114614 (commit of 2013-10-10)
	revno:113431
doc/lispref/ChangeLog:
	revno 101949
lisp/ChangeLog.15:
	revno:103013
	rev 102609
	revno 101688
	revno 101459
	revnos 101381
	101422
	rev 100010
lisp/ChangeLog.16:
	revno:109911
	109621
	revno:88805
	revno:88864
	revno:89810
	revision 106664
	revno:105285
	revno:104787 (2011-06-30)
	revno:104988 (2011-07-06)
	revno:101730 (2010-10-02)
	revno:103877 (2011-04-09)
	revno:99634.2.463 (2010-10-09)
	revno:101913
src/ChangeLog.11:
	revno 95090 dated 2009-03-06
	revno 101757
	revno 82799 (2007-11-30)
	2010-07-29 (revno 100939)
	revno 100928
	revnos 100982..100984
	revno 99854.1.6
	revno 99950
	revno:100708
	revno:110851
	cvs-1.12.1
	Revision 1.694
src/ChangeLog.12:
	revno 108687
	revno:108521
	revno:108341
	2011-08-30 (revision 105619)
	2011-08-30 (revision 105619)
	revision 84777 on 2008-02-22
	revno:102982 (2011-01-26)
	revision 104625
	revision 104134
	revno:20537 (1998-01-01)
	revno:87605 (2008-05-14)
	revno:50135 (2003-03-16)
	revno:87605 (2008-05-14)
	revno:34925 (2000-12-29)
	revno:20537 (1998-01-01)
	revno:25013 (1999-07-21)
	revno:43563.1.17 (2002-03-01)
	revno:84043 (2008-02-1)
	revno:25356 (1999-08-21)
	revno:20870 (1998-02-08)
	revno:36704 (2001-03-09)
	revno:32591 (2000-10-17)
	revno:25013 (1999-07-21)
	revno:43563.1.32 (2002-03-01)
	revno:14998 (1996-04-12)
	revno:86854 (2008-04-19)
	revno:20569 (1998-01-02)
	revno 103623
	revision 1.32
	revision 1.30
lisp/changeLog.13:
	version 1.100
	1.39
	revision 1.104, made on 2000-05-21
	2007-07-18 (revision 1.51)
	revision 1.90 (commitid mWoPbju3pgNotDps)
lisp/ChangeLog.14:
	revision 1.117
	1.85
lisp/ChangeLog.15:
	1.878
lisp/ChangeLog.9:
	1.113
	1.244
	1.34
src/ChangeLog.10:
	1.233
	rev 1.82
src/Changelog.4:
	1.70 (Jan 5 changes)

Change comments:
	bzrs 111300
	111840
	revision 111647
	revno:11026
	revno:88864
	revno:88805
	revno:89810
	revision 10835
	revision 106726
	revision 87208
	revision 84777 on 2008-02-22
	revno:99634.2.463 (2010-10-09)
	revno:101913 (2010-10-12).
	revno:20537 (1998-01-01)
	revno:87605 (2008-05-14)
	revno:87605 (2008-05-14)
	revno:34925 (2000-12-29)
	revno:20537 (1998-01-01)
	revno:25013 (1999-07-21)
	revno:43563.1.16 (2002-03-01)
	revno:84043 (2008-02-1)
	revno:20870 (1998-02-08)
	revno:36704 (2001-03-09)
	revno:32591 (2000-10-17)
	revno:25356 (1999-08-21)
	revno:14998 (1996-04-12)
	revno:86854 (2008-04-19)
	revno:20569 (1998-01-02)
	CVS rev 1.49, 2001-09-12
	CVS rev 1.47, 2003/01/27
	CVS r1.35
	revno 95090 dated 2009-03-06
	2005-02-15 (revno 60055)
	r111320
	revno 99854.1.6
\	revno 99950
	revision 99649
	rev 99649
	rev 99553
	revno 99212
	revision 94343
	r1.135
	rev 1.114
	1.878
	revision 1.117
	rev 1.14395
	revision 1.56
	3.85
	1.17
	revision 1.69
	revision 1.1
	rev 1.5
	revisions 1.40
	1.41
	1.39
	revision 1.104
	revision 1.51
	revision 1.90
	revision 1.1509
	revision 7.8
	CVS v1.12.8 and 1.12.9
	cvs-1.12.1
	1.103
	HEAD (1.72)
	v1.275
	1.58
	v1.5046
	v1.5039
	rev 1.82
	rev. 1.761
	revision 1.3831
	1.3832
	revision 1.12
	revision 1.13
	revision 1.14
	revision 1.15

The following revision references may not be identifiable by groveling
through the Bazaar trunk log, or may not need to be converted at all.
The author of each reference it identified.  If it's you, please
tell me the committer email address and exact commit time of the
commit if you can.

	Stefan Monnier:
		"revision 46054 of the original lexbind branch"
	Alan McKenzie:
		"change 1.85"
	Eli Zaretskii:
		"revisions 103939.1.41..103939.1.44 (inclusive)"

The IRS has become morally corrupted by the enormous power which we in
Congress have unwisely entrusted to it. Too often it acts like a
Gestapo preying upon defenseless citizens.
	-- Senator Edward V. Long

* The fixes-bug field
@ 2014-01-16 14:13 Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-01-16 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii asked:

     > Which reminds me: what about the "fixes bug" field of the commit
     > metadata? are they copied into the git repo?  If so, how can I display
     > them in git?

The "fixes bug" field in the Bazaar logs is not copied in to the git logs.
This is because it's not actually part of the Bazaar log text.  It is, one
member (often the only member) of a per-revision property/value list.

The Bazaar fast-export plugin can write these property lists in a
extension of fast-import format, but normally does not because
Git cannot interpret that extension.  Thus, these properties are
normally lost in translation to git.

reposurgeon, on the other hand, *can* read and process these
properties (they're the one Bazaar feature I really like, and I wish
git supported them).  In theory I could salvage these properties and
append a report of them them to the end of the log messages on their
corresponding git commits.

There's a complication, though.  Quoting from the reposurgeon
manual:

    <para>Limitation: bzr suffers from deep confusion over whether its
    unit of work is a repository or a floating branch that might have been
    cloned from a repo or created from scratch, and might or might not be
    destined to be merged to a repo one day. Its exporter only works on
    branches, but its importer creates repos.  Thus, a rebuild operation
    will produce a subdirectory structure that differs from what you
    expect.  Look for your content under the subdirectory 'trunk'.</para>

This reflects the state of play when I wrote the Bazaar support fore
reposurgeon in early 2011. I know how to get a fast-import-compatible
dump of a branch with the Bazaar properties in place, but I don't know
how to get a fast-import dump of an *entire Bazaar repo*, with or
without the properties.

Unless the Bazaar exporter has been up-gunned while I wasn't looking,
this might literally require iterating across a branch list and
stitching dumps together by hand.  While I could do this with
reposurgeon, the operation would be an error-prone pain in the
ass.

Because of this, I had been planning to do the full-bore git
conversion based on the existing git mirror, rather than the
Bazaar repo.  To save these properties I'd have to reverse that
decision. The additional complications could easily cost
me another week of work wrestling the Bazaar exporter into submission.

TL;DR: Possible, but a serious PITA.  If this is just an It Would Be Nice
rather than being key to an established workflow I'd rather not go there.